Female solidarity

michickenwrangler

To Finish Is To Win
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
NE Michigan
My mother is up visiting this weekend and this morning when I was feeding, she was hanging out watching the chickens. Our EE cockerel Twinkie (don't ask) tried to mount one of the Black Star pullets and she ran away shrieking. My mother began hollering at Twinkie and telling him "Stop it! Stop it! Bad rooster!"

"Mom, he was trying to mate her."

"Oh!"

Twinkie tried again a few minutes later, seizing the pullet by the back of the head. She shrieked and cried, struggling to get away. Before Twinkie could mount her, three of the grown up Gold Comet hens ran over and knocked Twinkie away from the pullet who ran and hid for awhile. I just thought it was great that the females came to the aid of a fellow female. I'm glad to know that they have a woman's support network!
smile.png

Actually no, she always spent her her summers on one of the two family farms (one in northern MI near where I live now or one in northern KY). But she was always a kid and probably never paid attention to the roosters much.

Well, we have the roosters separated now, so Twinkie thinks the big hens are fair game now that Fred's in with the cochin pullets. He mounted the "lieutenant" hen today (our 2nd in command Nellie). She bucked him off and chased him around for several minutes before she finally got close enough to pull out one of his saddle feathers. He sure hasn't tried THAT again!

Back
Top Bottom