Keeps drinking and crop like balloon

Kirklasu

Chirping
Jul 14, 2023
We are caring for a mother bantam and her 3 pullets whilst son is away. Mother bantam looked like she struggled to poo one evening. Next morning she kept drinking and wouldn’t stop. Her crop was like a puffy balloon.
We suspected sour crop and kept her segregated from food and water for 48+ hrs whilst massaging crop top to bottom. She had awful smelly diarrhoea throughout this time.
We introduced water with ACV and she would have kept drinking it had we not removed it after 20 sips. She was more perky but crop not better, though improved. I could feel grain such as wheat if I squeezed at the lower part. It is soft and squishy.
We gave her AVC water periodically which she would have kept drinking had we not removed.
Kept her overnight without food or water and this morning (almost 24 hrs after her first AVC drink post fasting) we have given her a teaspoon of scrambled egg with some natural unsweetened yoghurt mixed in. She tucked in but then only ate half. We also have given her periodic AVC drinks and always have to remove or she would keep drinking. She is more lively but still has diarrhoea and crop is as described… not right.
It is now 11am and this evening it will be 48 + hrs since we first noticed her behaving differently trying to poo. (We are UK so it will be approx 6am on east coast USA right now)
What do we do?

Last edited:
What do you feed and do you provide grit? Did you feel of her crop early each morning first thing to see if her crop emptied before she ate or dank water? That is the best time to feel of the crop to ascertain crop function. Never remove or keep from water. Even if the crop is not working, they need water. I would offer some cut up slivers of chilled coconut oil to eat, a tsp twice a day, which may help to ease the constipation. Monistat 7 or miconazole cream may be good to give 1/2 inch or pally twice a day to treat fungal crop problems. Here is a good crop article that many use:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What do you feed and do you provide grit? Did you feel of her crop early each morning first thing to see if her crop emptied before she ate or dank water? That is the best time to feel of the crop to ascertain crop function. Never remove or keep from water. Even if the crop is not working, they need water. I would offer some cut up slivers of chilled coconut oil to eat, a tsp twice a day, which may help to ease the constipation. Monistat 7 or miconazole cream may be good to give 1/2 inch or pally twice a day to treat fungal crop problems. Here is a good crop article that many use:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you for that link which is the best information I’ve read on this over the last 2/3 days!!
Yes we feel her crop before she eats or drinks except for the first morning when we found her drinking and not stopping which alerted us to segregate her.
She is not constipated but does have diarrhoea which is white and brown but smells awful.
Her breath doesn’t seem to smell.
We are massaging her crop but still doing it top to bottom after suspecting sour crop.
Now that I’ve read the link you gave I wish we had treated for impacted crop first to be sure.
She is now given access freely to water and does not keep drinking without stopping.
Don’t know whether to start all over again according to the linked article or to continue with small helpings of scrambled egg and yoghurt.
Each morning the crop does not feel completely empty and is still soft but less than when we began.

Back
Top Bottom