Feral Cat Trap As A Fox Trap?

Coturnix Quail

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
Alright, so, I have this really annoying fox who ate the last of my quail and is now trying to get to my chickens. My friend bought a trap for me and its big enough to fix the fox. (This fox is so daring, it'll come out during the afternoon sometimes.) I managed to figure out the model and brand, it's a Havaheart model 1099. I think I figured out how to use it, but if the fox were to jump on top of the cage, (I shook it a little to make sure I was correct) then the gate would close. Even then, I feel the door wouldn't be heavy enough and the fox would be able to escape. Also, there's this one piece, it's like right at the gate, it helps secure it better, but you'd have to do it manually from what I've figured out. Can anyone help?

I wasn't able to catch our fox in a live trap, but I visited many neighbors, and so everyone was on alert, and he was shot about 1/2 mile down the road. We couldn't get a safe shot here but he was taken out in about a week. Good luck! Mary

We have a fox visiting in daytime right now too. I made the chickens stay in their pens today but thet prefer getting out free range. I just plan to let them out 1/2 hr before dark while standing with them to guard them.

A fox isn't easy to catch in a live trap. I've been setting out live traps since I was a teenager and I've never caught one. Raccoons, opossums, feral cats and skunks I've caught easy but never a fox. I doubt a fox would climb on top a live trap. Coons will and they'll turn over the trap even, so I stake the trap down. If you put the trigger in fully, shaking a trap a bit shouldn't trip it. I use Tomahawk traps though and find them better than Havaheart. Any trap that will hold a coon will be stronger than needed to hold a fox. Nothing fights to get out like a coon will. Not easy to lure a fox in, but not impossible.

http://www.wildlifeanimalcontrol.com/foxcatch.html

Problem.. I set up the trap last night and threw a few chicken pellets in.. Guess what came to get them... A SKUNK! It seems pretty young and calm, but, whats the best way to let it out? Who thought my first catch would be a skunk?? Anyway, I hear fish is a good bait for foxes? I think it wouldn't be possible to shoot it because I live right next to a forest and it just darts right back where it came from. I think my best bet would be to trap it and relocate it? Unless I have to kill it...

YIKES! Throw a tarp over it and hopefully you can manage to get the door open while staying behind the tarp in case it sprayed. If possible leave the door open and run like h*** and hopefully it will come out on its own!
Canned cat food is also good bait for fox...but you may get a skunk again or a raccoon no matter what you use. Please do not relocate it as it may make its way onto another poultry farm; plus I have read relocation is illegal in a lot of states.

Okay. I can get behind the cage and open it without putting anything over because it's still really young and I guess it doesn't understand? I tried, and I could've let it out, but my grandmother came and started freaking out! I guess I'll let it out later, and since it is nocturnal, it shouldn't be a problem cause' it'll be sleeping all day.. Is it more calm because it's drowsy? If I do catch a fox... Do it have to kill it...? I'll check the laws for relocation, but around here, there aren't a ton of people who own poultry.

Back
Top Bottom