Fermented feed

mi2bugz

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 8, 2013
Waxahachie, tx
i am going to be giving my 7 chicks terra-vet 10 and vitamins & electrolytes. I have heard to give fermented feed to add the necessary bacteria back into the gut. Has anyone else done this for this reason? I only have 7 chicks. How much should I start with? 5 gallon bucket? I can only find 50 lb bag at tractor supply? Are oats in the grocery store the same? TYIA

Nicole

What bacterial problem you treating with the antibiotic?

Oats come in a lot of forms, What you get at the grocery store is unlikely to be the same. Sometimes you can get oat groats in both the grocer and feed store.

For probiotics I use this.
http://www.gro2max.com/
but plain yogurt, kefir or a probiotic powder for exotics from a pet store will work.
Make sure the yogurt or kefir say live active cultures on the label.

One of my hens is sneezing n raspy breathing. Treating all 7 because I couldn't quarantine in enough time so think they have all been exposed.

Probiotics put the good bacteria back in their system and I don't have to use fermented oats. I can just use live active culture yogurt also?

I know people do it all the time but I never give an antibiotic unless I know what I'm treating.
Besides bacterial causes, sneezing could be viral, fungal, protozoal, environmental or just a reaction to feed.

If you're concerned about gut bacteria, antibiotics will cause a concern there as well.

She had bumble foot 2 times back to back. Last plug was pulled and soaking of foot in antiseptic was 6 days ago. so I'm thinking its related to that or it weakened her immune system making her susceptible to whatever she's got. Think antibiotic should be used since had open wound on her foot?

Probably not a bad idea but an injection in the foot pad may be more effective.
Penicillin or similar antibiotic and if not in the foot pad then intramuscular or subcutaneous is more effective than oral.

Back
Top Bottom