Fermented feed

5 gallon plastic bucket. But I have a large flock. Depending on the size of your flock, a plastic coffee can (the old ones) may be large enough (the new ones are real small, and don't use the ones with a molded handle, niice and round is what you want), then a 1 gal pitcher, or a 2 gal bucket is the next convenient size up.

I use jars like this
1658608208300.png
They come in an assortment of sizes to suit your flock, and are easy to clean or even sterilize if necessary; the lid can just rest on top ordinarily or be clipped down if necessary, but don't leave it like that for long while there's feed fermenting inside, as the gases need to escape.

You can use almost any kind of water-tight container. I use a 3 cup plastic container and lid for my 4 chickens. Just make sure the lid isn't tight as fermenting releases CO2 gas (much like raising bread) which can theoretically cause the container to burst. Some people cover with cheese cloth instead of a hard cover.

Pretty much any FF question is answered here: Fermented Feed FAQ.

I’ve been feeding fermented feed to my girls since week 1 but what do you guys serve it to yours hens in??? I was using a paper plate or a small bowl but the walk in it. The feed cakes onto their toes and dries like cement. So I switched to a tiny baby chick feeder but they’ve outgrown that. Help???

I’ve been feeding fermented feed to my girls since week 1 but what do you guys serve it to yours hens in??? I was using a paper plate or a small bowl but the walk in it. The feed cakes onto their toes and dries like cement. So I switched to a tiny baby chick feeder but they’ve outgrown that. Help???
I use small bowls like cat food dishes, ramekins, etc. and elevate them on bricks. They're too small for full grown birds to step in without toppling.

Back
Top Bottom