Fermented feed ??!!?

Fermented feed has limited benefit in limitied conditions and, depending upon time, resources, storage, and quantities needed, mmay not be worth the investment. Its easiests at very small scale for very small flocks, and at very large scale.

Most of the savings attributed to fermented feed can be obtained just as easily by making an outmeal-like consistency wet mash, which takes far less time and space.

What you should not do is rely on "scratch" for anything. What is labeled "scratch" here in the US is a low protein, often high fat collection of (typically) cracked corn, low cost low value seeds (like red millet), whatever side grain is cheapest (rye, oats, barley, etc) , and some BOSS. Some of it doesn't contain even that many ingredients. Its like supplimenting your own nutritional intake with a daily bag of corn tortilla chips topped with a few seeds from the discount song bird mix - you know, the things the song birds carefully throw out of the feeder in order to get at the safflower, white millet, and sunflower seeds. Centuries ago, that may have been great for jungle fowl, but modern birds need a much higher quality diet to do best.

Welcome to BYC, and Yes, the Search Engine is your friend.

"Scratch"

"Ferment"

etc.

There is an article from the Learning Center on that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/fermenting-chicken-feed-a-straightforward-method.75967/

I also encourage you to use the search function on the forums: fermented food has been discussed a bunch and that means you might be able to find information and tips pertinent to your own situation!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-much-fermented-feed-per-bird.1211219/ -> I bookmarked this one, for example, because it talked about quantities, but many others discussed set ups, pros and cons of doing it with different feeds, techniques, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the response!
I'm an opinionated a$$, but I mean well. A bit blunt at times (ok, often). Sometimes entertaining. Generally useful. Love me or hate me, but feel free to question my assertions. I'm just some anonymous guy on the internet.

I don't troll the feed forums as often as I used to, but I do drop in from time to time. There are a number of other posters who are very active on this forum, and very knowledgeable. You will learn the names pretty quickly. We even disagree. That's ok, and to be encouraged. There is no one right answer for everyone, but there are THOUSANDS of wrong ones.

I'm an opinionated a$$, but I mean well. A bit blunt at times (ok, often). Sometimes entertaining. Generally useful. Love me or hate me, but feel free to question my assertions. I'm just some anonymous guy on the internet.

I don't troll the feed forums as often as I used to, but I do drop in from time to time. There are a number of other posters who are very active on this forum, and very knowledgeable. You will learn the names pretty quickly. We even disagree. That's ok, and to be encouraged. There is no one right answer for everyone, but there are THOUSANDS of wrong ones.

I’m just trying to avoid the thousand of wrong ones 😊
I’m new to this and trying to learn from more experienced flock owners. Thanks!

There’s really not much investment needed. A bucket or crock and some water, preferably not tap water if it is chlorinated. If so let it sit open on a counter for about 24 hours. It’s extremely easy and my chickens love it from time to time.

I just add enough water cover the feed and a little more, it’ll soak up the water, then leave it in the bucket overnight and feed in the morning or the next afternoon. That simple. You’ll need to adjust the water to get the consistency you want, I don’t like it to be too watery and my flock doesn’t either. If I find it’s a bit on the wet side I’ll add a little dry food and mix before I put it out.

Like anything, too much is not good in my opinion. My crew gets sick of it and really, they don’t need it constantly. I honestly didn’t see a reduction in feed costs and my flock got tired of it as a constant option. Now I only offer it once or twice a week as a treat.

Never likes the scratch grains soaked so didn’t do it.

Fermented feed has limited benefit in limitied conditions and, depending upon time, resources, storage, and quantities needed, mmay not be worth the investment. Its easiests at very small scale for very small flocks, and at very large scale.

Most of the savings attributed to fermented feed can be obtained just as easily by making an outmeal-like consistency wet mash, which takes far less time and space.

What you should not do is rely on "scratch" for anything. What is labeled "scratch" here in the US is a low protein, often high fat collection of (typically) cracked corn, low cost low value seeds (like red millet), whatever side grain is cheapest (rye, oats, barley, etc) , and some BOSS. Some of it doesn't contain even that many ingredients. Its like supplimenting your own nutritional intake with a daily bag of corn tortilla chips topped with a few seeds from the discount song bird mix - you know, the things the song birds carefully throw out of the feeder in order to get at the safflower, white millet, and sunflower seeds. Centuries ago, that may have been great for jungle fowl, but modern birds need a much higher quality diet to do best.

Welcome to BYC, and Yes, the Search Engine is your friend.

"Scratch"

"Ferment"

etc.
Thanks so much for the response!

Back
Top Bottom