Fermented oats

Hmm... how do you ferment them? Are they for treats?
All you need is a 5 gallon bucket and whole oats not rolled. Fill bucket almost half way with the oats then fill with water. It takes a few days to ferment wich will vary with the weather. Cold weather will take longer.they will start to bubble and develop a Grey film on top of water, this is the SCOBY wich is the good stuff. Once they turn a golden color and start to smell there ready to feed. They last a long time and the stinkier they get the better the chickens like them, it may take some time for them to start eating them but once they do they will go after it like candy. I feed a small amount in the afternoon but you can feed anytime. There full of probiotics enzymes vitamins and protien. Very good for gut health wich will build good immune system. I use a fry basket to strain the oats when feeding. Just keep oats under water at all times and keep a loose lid on them. When your running low you can start another bucket and add a big glass of the water from 1st bucket, this will start the ferment faster. You can keep this up on future batches....

As whole oats are very prone to mould formation and often do so even before being harvested, I would not try to ferment them.

But I sprout wheat, barley and peas flushing them twice a day.
I disagree never have I had a mold issue, and cockers have been feeding them forever. Like I said just keep covered with water and you’ll not have mold issue.

There will most likely already be quite a lot of mould spores on the oat, so for me not the right choice cereal to ferment.
But each to their own.

There will most likely already be quite a lot of mould spores on the oat, so for me not the right choice cereal to ferment.
But each to their own.
Yes to each there own, but I will bet anyone that none are healthier then mine. Beautiful shiny feathers wich oats are excellent for and nice red heads. I’ve had Chickens over 35 yrs am 58 and I’ve learned from old timers that knew what most here never even heard of.

But each to their own.
Do a research on feather quality and oats enlighten yourself😀

Back
Top Bottom