Fermenting feed for baby chicks?

KaylorFarms

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 3, 2017
Oklahoma
Hello,
I believe I heard that fermenting chicken feed filled them up faster or something and it saves you from having to buy it as often. Would this be a good idea for baby chicks so their food lasts longer?
Thank you all in advance!

I think fermented feed is great for chicks, but I don't think it changes the amount they need to eat, nor should it. They need a lot of nutrition to grow properly. Do not begrudge feeding them what they need.
What I see as a pro about the fermented feed is that they are less likely to spill it all over the place. So in that way, it could save on feed.
I just take their chick feed, add water to make it into a mash, and then let it sit overnight.

I think fermented feed is great for chicks, but I don't think it changes the amount they need to eat, nor should it. They need a lot of nutrition to grow properly. Do not begrudge feeding them what they need.
What I see as a pro about the fermented feed is that they are less likely to spill it all over the place. So in that way, it could save on feed.
I just take their chick feed, add water to make it into a mash, and then let it sit overnight.
Thanks for the reply! What is the main reason people do fermented feed?

I would say it's beneficial bacteria. I think chickens prefer it to dry crumbles or pellets. There are people who are very much in favor of fermented feed, and others who are opposed to it.
If you make too much of it, it can get too sharp, or even moldy, so go easy at first.
Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! What is the main reason people do fermented feed?

Less waste (I'm probably down from maybe 5%+ waste to maybe 1%) and the chickens may like it better. Easier to eat for birds with problems like crossbeak. Also depending on what you're fermenting, i.e. whole grain mash, it can help ensure that the chickens are getting a complete diet because they'll eat all of it instead of picking out choice bits. It also promotes beneficial bacteria growth that may help their digestive system. Some people thinks it makes poop less stinky or less frequent (not sure about that myself).

if you ferment grains it also releases various nutrients that are locked up in dry grain, so the birds get better nutrition from the same food. My chicks clearly prefer ff (mixed grain) to chick starter (they get offered both) as do most of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom