Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

Love the turkey cartoon.
Popcorn and Caramel got pardoned today.....you could tell Obama is a city boy.....
cool.png

I think the protein in the egg white of the store bought eggs is weaker and more fragile than the farm raised eggs. I find that the boiled egg white of the farm raised eggs are firmer.....but I have no scientific evidence of that....just an observation.
Another thought. As the egg sits, the white degrades. There really aren't any storebought eggs that are actually fresh. There's prob at least a week or two on them.

lau.gif

@Bee... I was reading about a good way to dust birds. Put the dust in a trash bag, put the bird in the trash bag all but its head and dust away.

What exactly do you dust them with?

@Bee... be sure to get pics of the roo's living quarters too.
smile.png
You're going to have me doing that before long!
Will do...it's all very makeshift, using whatever I already have on hand. I like this one better than the last one as it gives way more shelter from the elements and cannot be trampled into mud by all the walking. This area is under the porch roof of our log outbuilding, where there is thick, black plastic down on the ground beneath a foot thick layer of leaves and some cedar shavings beneath the leaves. It has some trellis around it on two sides, forming a three sided shelter against the wall of the building. I placed some items outside the trellis to block the wind and it does this very well. It's very protected there from wind, rain or snow.

A hundred times better than where these poor guys were living....there simply aren't any words to describe where they were kept and only pictures would suffice. It was a sadness to see it, though the folks were very nice and doing the best they could to provide for their family and all the animals, they just didn't seem to know what chickens need. One pen of 6 roosters were in with about 12 other LF birds in a rabbit hutch that was about 3x3x5. The poop was so thick in that pen and the birds so piled in that they were standing on mounds of poop and could barely move about. The other "coop" was small and filled with office furniture and an upholstered settee and other odds and ends of junk, deep chicken poop all over it all, no ventilation except the crack around the door.

@Bee... I was reading about a good way to dust birds. Put the dust in a trash bag, put the bird in the trash bag all but its head and dust away.

What exactly do you dust them with?

I ran out of the pyrethrin using it on the last bunch, so broke down and bought some permethrin from Lowe's..they didn't have any pyrethrin. It's the synthetic version of pyrethrin and not so safe to use but I was desperate and figure the effects of it may be out of the birds in a couple of weeks.

I don't know how one could work it up under all their feathers doing it in a trash bag, though I sure would like to find a way to do it that would be thorough but still wouldn't involve me looking like a baker afterwards. It doesn't really matter about me eating the birds with residue of permethrin in the meat now because I breathed in, absorbed and swallowed about half a bag my own self.
th.gif
I wanted to make sure every crevice of these birds were covered as they were just the worst case of lice and mites I'd ever seen...way worse then mine when they came back from the bad place and way worse than the last batch of roosters. I felt so sorry for these birds when I saw that! Made my butt itch just looking at it!
barnie.gif
Needless to say, several hands full of dust was worked up and into the feathers and all over the bodies of each bird until it looked like a frosted chicken. Can't stand those bugs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom