Fermenting Scratch Grains?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
How would you go about fermenting scratch grains for chickens? With everyone stuck in flock down, I figured it would be a worth while treat for them while they're locked up. I'm also having to switch my feed brand, which is a pelleted feed with the feed prices rising, I am no longer able to ferment my chicken feed for them. I thought that fermenting scratch grains, or bird seed would be another way to give them the benefits from fermenting without fermenting my feed.
Is it possible to ferment scratch grains? I ask because I tried it with some millet bird see recently, and it didn't seem to work. The grains absorbed some of the water, but not enough to ferment.
Is there a different way to do it? Is it possible?
Thanks for the help guys!

I've had good luck fermenting pelleted feed. You should give it a try. Pellets ferment just as well as crumbles.

I would discourage trying to ferment scratch grains. This form of feed is meant to be fed sparingly. Very sparingly. Therefore, fermenting it really doesn't make good sense.

I've had good luck fermenting pelleted feed. You should give it a try. Pellets ferment just as well as crumbles.

I would discourage trying to ferment scratch grains. This form of feed is meant to be fed sparingly. Very sparingly. Therefore, fermenting it really doesn't make good sense.
I didn't know that, I've been fermenting my whole grain feed in the past. I guess it didn't occur to me that I could ferment the pellets.

I don't currently feed scratch grains at all. Sometimes BSFL, once a week if the girls are lucky. Other than that I just give weeds and veggie scraps.
That makes sense. I always saw scratch grains as a waste of money, so wasn't sure if that would change if I fermented them or not.

How would you go about fermenting scratch grains for chickens? With everyone stuck in flock down, I figured it would be a worth while treat for them while they're locked up. I'm also having to switch my feed brand, which is a pelleted feed with the feed prices rising, I am no longer able to ferment my chicken feed for them. I thought that fermenting scratch grains, or bird seed would be another way to give them the benefits from fermenting without fermenting my feed.
Is it possible to ferment scratch grains? I ask because I tried it with some millet bird see recently, and it didn't seem to work. The grains absorbed some of the water, but not enough to ferment.
Is there a different way to do it? Is it possible?
Thanks for the help guys!
Same here. Interested in the best way to do scratch grains.

You ferment scratch grains the exact same way. As the above post stated, you can absolutely ferment pellets! I ferment crumbles for my chicks. It turns to mush but they love it!
Just always make sure no feed is exposed to air.

Back
Top Bottom