fighting city hall

big greg barker

Songster
11 Years
Oct 26, 2008
central maine
So, I talked to the codes guy at city hall yesterday,and asked if I could keep chickens. He said Sure! In yer freezer!! Boy, he should be writing for Leno!! I wanted to say something back, but I kept my cool. I don't want to antagonize....yet.
I guess I will have to go stealth, paint my coop camo, and try to find little masks for all the chicks. Stuff like that.
But, in the meantime, any advice out there on fighting city hall? I've already had go- rounds with them on trash removal for our apartment building, snow removal on our street, broken water pipes in the street they wanted me to fix after they broke it, etc, etc, etc. When I called about chix, I was vague as to where I live, so they won't be up here poking around.
I already talked to the neighbors, and they don't mind. In fact the neighbor closest told me to make sure I have roos to keep the girls happy! She's an old hippie!! The biggest problem I will have here is keeping the wild turkey herd (yes, herd) out of my runs.
So, any advice??

I went to the city web site and got the ordinances on animals; they seem to be contradictory. In one, it says you can't keep livestock, except in a rural or agricultural zone. then in the next one it says that fowl, rabbits and guinea pigs must be indoors or in an enclosed area so they can't run loose. That may be my out, but I still may go ask for a variance or rule exception. I just don't want to get my butt shot off and bring my fellow chicken people in town onto the radar screen.

I'm with Miss Prissy on this one. If the ordinance says fowl if they are in a run I'd go do your thing and not squawk unless/until some one complains... JMHO
cool.png

You need to know what zone you live in. County vs. muni zones vary and the zoning regs will tell you what you need....unless you live in the city limits.

Quote:
Hm. To me, not being able to keep chickens in a nice enclosed run while wild turkeys run everywhere is like saying you can't have dogs, but that stray pack of dogs is totally cool.

...Okay, I know it's not the same, but positive thoughts can't hurt... I emailed my city and they linked me the appropriate code. I had already seen it, but now I have it in writing, which is never bad.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom