Figured out which hen is laying... the scary way!

Breezy_Living

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 19, 2011
Northern California
This morning I went out to feed the chickens (2 RIR hens, 1 BR hen, & 1 BR rooster) and get more firewood from the shed, when I noticed the Barred Rock hen -- named Hen Latifah -- was missing. She is the one who usually escapes over the short fencing around their coop so I looked around the usually bug-filled spots they like to free range but she was nowhere to be found. I began to get worried because I really could not find her anywhere, and I feared a predator had grabbed her (we don't often get critters but I have seen hawks overhead when it's not as cold).

I went back inside but left the dog out this time, hoping he would find her and stay by her until I came out. (Shout out to the loyal Welsh Corgi's!)
I came back out just to try and search for her again, and suddenly I heard the familiar "bawk bawk". Once I figured out her hiding spot I couldn't help but laugh...

20111105104834375.jpg

Near the coop, we keep a tarp over the straw to keep it dry and Hen Latifiah decided to keep herself warm underneath the tarp in the straw. She happily waddled out when I lifted it up and I *finally* figured out which one of the hens was laying by leaving the egg where she was sitting!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom