Final Update...HELP!!!! found a baby rabbit

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by toyzbox, Sep 11, 2009.

1. toyzbox

toyzbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Crestview, Fl
    Found a bunch of Wabbit Twacks this morning and the last baby is gone. All is well. Thanks again for all the help

make that two

DH found her alone in the field. Almost hit here with a tiller. her eyes are barely opened and we could not find where she came from to try and put her back. We have some puppy formula but I can;t get her to take it

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Put her back out there where you found her- mama rabbits leave the babies alone and she'll likely come back. It's also possible that she's older than you think- rabbits leave the nest early. Her survival rate is not very good in captivity.... rabbits are very nervous and hard to take care of.

3. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
  4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I'd put it down. [​IMG] Wild rabbits are very difficult to keep alive, even when they're older and can eat on their own.

5. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    Quote:we tried it as well they are all but impoosible to raise

6. toyzbox

toyzbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Crestview, Fl
    thanks wild. it said look at the second paragraph. If it is that big it's ok. What second pap\
    agraph? I only see pics at the top

7. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Have you tried one of those tiny little bottles with the little nipple on it? If you use a syringe or dropper be careful that you don't give them too much at a time b/c they can get pneumonia from aspirating the liquid into their lungs. We have raised baby squirrels on both the puppy and kitten formulas. If they won't take that then maybe you could try some pedialyte (clear) so they won't get dehydrated. You could try to google a licensed wildlife rehabilitator in your area or maybe an area park district. Good luck

8. obe10

obe10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    put it back were you found it and the mother might find it

9. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    As the others said, try to put it back exactly where it was found. The mother will likely find it and all will be well again.

10. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    The mother may have gotten attacked by a predator or hit by a car. I would try to find a wildlife rehab center where they are better equipped to take care of them until they are healthy and old enough to be released back into the wild.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by