finally converting dog kennel to chicken coop w pics need advise

jamie.williamson34

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 24, 2011
I purchased my house a year ago this month and have had this unused dog house in my garage (dogs dont care for it) so I think its time to convert it to a chicken coop for about 3 hens I have never had chickens before so am also looking for heavy input on this project as I do not wanna cause harm to my mini flock. So here we go!!!!

Is it in your garage? Its three sided so I would have to suggest pulling it out and adding a fourth side and putting it out side with a run. If thats possible I don't know that's just what I'd do.

I want to keep it in the garage due to city not allowing poultry. My house pretty much sits out of site, out of mind. But don't want to pull the attention to me with a coop in the yard. We have wild turkeys that roam the town all the time. My chickens can free range the yard all day. I'm looking for advise as to why not to keep it in the garage. Issues and such.

The guy right next to me is ok with chickens as long as there's no rooster and the lady to the other side is excited. I have a ravine to my rear.

I'm using a dog house right now. I think your design looks fine.

HOWEVER, working for a criminal defense attorney has me advising you not to do something stupid like purposely break the law and get chickens you aren't allowed to have. Your neighbors might be saying ok now but that's because they haven't had to deal with birds yet. I know you want them. We have tons of people coming through our office who wanted stuff they weren't supposed to have. Just know that a lawyer is really bloody expensive. We charge a base $2500 for the simple stuff. Are chickens worth that to you?

I should add that my lawyers live in a nice neighborhood where livestock is prohibited. A neighbor of theirs just got a RIR and they are now being taken before the home owners association for breaking covenants. Their direct neighbors didn't complain, it was someone a couple of houses down who got tired of chasing a chicken out of their flower beds.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I think the set up looks good. I also don't advise breaking the law but I am sure you have already made up your mind so.... That being said leave the lid unattached so you can easily clean it out. Are you getting chicks? If so I suggest sex links so you get plenty of eggs without the accidental rooster.

I have a ravine to my rear.
Turns out I do too. My boyfriend like to drop coins, silverware, and lighters in it..."
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom