Finally found a solution to the rooster problem...

missourichickenmama

SURPRISE!
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Missouri
Rooster Cogburn flew over the fence with his wing clipped, just to attack my little brother,William, who is terrified of him.
We tied his foot to a long close line, which we tied to a pole. He can still walk around, but he can't get to William.

We let him loose to go '' to bed'' and we tied him up in plain sight to keep an eye on him, we could not help but see him when ever we came into the dining room.

I am making assumptions, but it sounds like you are young yourself. How old is William?

I had a roo named Brutus because he was the biggest of the first dozen chicks I ever bought for my family to raise. His name and stature served to be true. He was a brute. It got to the point where I was the only one that could even do chores (which means no family interaction, the whole point of getting birds for me at that point). He eventually even dropped me. I took a spur right below the knee cap! Layed there on the ground cursing his name and vowed never to feed him again. He became my first and only since then, free range chicken by all stretches of the imagination. Eventually I awoke to a skirmish with a neighbor dog that was "interested" in my female dog. They had words and he stood his ground but eventually the dog put him down. Left the roo right there too. The male dog must have had some respect for him or something
hmm.png

I guess my point is my experience with a mean roo is that you should consider removing him from your property asap if you have to tie him up.

My second roo, loves being held and lives for watching out for "his girls".

My brother is 8 and says that he loves the rooster, even though the he is terrified of him
roll.png
. He really loves him, and really hates him at the same time. also the rooster is good at protecting the flock, and loves his girls.

We had a Black Sexlink rooster that was a pain in the butt. He really would go at you if you turned your back to him. And he was an expert escape artist. I couldnt go in and collect eggs from my girls when he was in the pen either. he would try to get me in the head every time I bent down to get one. So we eventually had to find him another home. He was really pretty, but a rooster that gives you problems like that makes the experiance of owning chickens horrible. You really should enjoy your birds, not worry about them.

Quote:
just make absolutely certain that he's not an open invitation to any wandering dogs you may have in your neighborhood... it would be awful to be staked out and unable to flee from a predator. I hope your yard is fenced...

just saw in your sig line where you had 16 chickens but 4 went MIA ("dumb dog") ... are you saying you have a dog that you think might have gotten your chickens and now you've tied a rooster up in your yard???
th.gif
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom