Finch Egg Incubation!

Everyone around me is saying it won't survive because I took it out of the shell, true or false? How should I wash the syringe? If you can, give me measurements of how much formula with how much water. I'm worried for its future, everyone around me except for a few people are saying it will die.. They're also saying it's torture and I'm cooking it.. Wow, I just realized how supportive my family is :tongue

Like I said you are giving it a chance. If it's responsive I think it's ok. Finch nests can get very hot so I doubt it's too warm.

If you don't have bleach then you could boil your tools for 5 minutes in water. I'd make up a teaspoon of dry formula mixed with enough water to make it very runny. It will be way more than you need but it means you have enough to suck it up into the syringe without getting air bubbles in there. Sometimes the chicks swallow air and you can see a bubble in their crop. Don't panic, that's normal. Just try not to get air bubbles in your syringe.

Right, thank you. I'm trying to ignore everyone but they're all very consistent and the only people who think it is going to die are my parents. It's still alive, so that's good. I'm just worried about feeding it dirty formula or something that can kill it.

Update: It's still alive and responsive! It even pooped a few times! (I'll change the tissue later.) I guess I'll feed it around 12ish? It's stomach seems to be less bulgey than it was before.

Woo hoo! First feeding is successful and now the chick is sleeping! I don't know if the food became too cold? But anyway, chick seems happy, and you're right, it does really latch on. Also, the chick doesn't like being fed out of its little cup X)

Okay, thanks! Jumpy little thing, its like a rag-doll! When should I feed it again? Should I feed it whenever I see it hungry or every few hours or so? Also, how hot does the water have to be? Can I microwave it in stead of boiling it? It takes less time.

Okay, thanks! Jumpy little thing, its like a rag-doll! When should I feed it again? Should I feed it whenever I see it hungry or every few hours or so? Also, how hot does the water have to be? Can I microwave it in stead of boiling it? It takes less time.

At this early stage I would aim for every hour so you can get some sleep at night. As it gets bigger and it's crop expands you can stretch it out to every 2 hours, but it's whenever it's crop is empty.

Back
Top Bottom