mudhen

confidently clueless
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Shepherdstown, WV
My 4x4 outhouse (not really
tongue.png
) coop renovation is finally finished.
I've been using it for the past four years for the three hens I had started with.
Now I've modified it by adding a window, a new set of 4 nest boxes with straw, hanging feeder and waterer, heat lamp and rheostat to keep temp at 55 degrees, lamp protected by wire mesh, new roosts, pine shavings on floor, a door to close at night (just had an opening all those years, and weather stripping around door to cut drafts.
Here's some pics from today:
HPIM1062a.jpg

HPIM1063a.jpg

HPIM1064a.jpg

HPIM1068.jpg

This will house Millie and the six girls (7.5 wks old) for a couple of weeks or maybe less. Until I get the other coop (I'm taking over the garden shed...DH is upset I've ousted the whacker, mowers, hoses, etc.
roll.png
). When that's done it will house the whole flock of 18-20 girls. ....Not sure what I will use the little coop for after that... hmmm.

They seem to be pretty happy.
Getting them to go in at dusk is a whole other issue, though.
barnie.gif

Of course, Millie, the veteran that she is, knows when it's time to go in to sleep, and I find her already on her roost when I go out there.
The girls are like teenagers who want to stay out after curfew!
The last two nights have been a hoot trying to coax them into the coop so I can close their little door.
I'm tempted to just leave it open tonight since the run is well covered....but I worry cuz you never really know how clever a predator can be...
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom