Fire extinguisher dust

Aug 7, 2020
We almost had a coop fire-- I got it before it reached it but my chickens were close enough to inhale the dust. I've been observing them and they seem okay but I am worried. Everyone's eating and drinking and pooping normally.

How are they doing?

You may want to search or call the manufacturer about how to clean up the dust so you limit exposure to the chickens and you.
We cleaned up the dust and chickens and I are fine. Rooster saved our coop. He's usually very chill and was very agitated which is out of character unless something is seriously wrong.

We cleaned up the dust and chickens and I are fine. Rooster saved our coop. He's usually very chill and was very agitated which is out of character unless something is seriously wrong.
Wow, what a good roo! I had a Yorkie that did that when I was a kid (fire rapidly approaching the house, he was barking at it madly through the window).

I'm so glad everyone is ok!

Wow, what a good roo! I had a Yorkie that did that when I was a kid (fire rapidly approaching the house, he was barking at it madly through the window).

I'm so glad everyone is ok!
I have a Yorkie, she doesn't let much slide by her without putting in her input. They're very highly intelligent, much more than I thought. I'd never had one before her.

In an ordinary ABC dry chemical multi use fire extinguisher is monoammonium sulphate. Other than a respiratory irritant it is non toxic. It is however extremely corrosive to electronics and wire. It's basically salt with baking powder. Each partical is coated in silicone so it does not stick together (caking) that's why it seems like the perfect powder when sprayed and stays suspended in the air. It's also pressurized with nitrogen because nitrogen has no humidity in it also to help it not to stick together on a molecular level. The salts cover the fire and melt and form a layer between the fuel and o2 so it smothers the fire. Due to the salts it will burn if you have a cut just like regular salt would. Your chickens should be ok

In an ordinary ABC dry chemical multi use fire extinguisher is monoammonium sulphate. Other than a respiratory irritant it is non toxic. It is however extremely corrosive to electronics and wire. It's basically salt with baking powder. Each partical is coated in silicone so it does not stick together (caking) that's why it seems like the perfect powder when sprayed and stays suspended in the air. It's also pressurized with nitrogen because nitrogen has no humidity in it also to help it not to stick together on a molecular level. The salts cover the fire and melt and form a layer between the fuel and o2 so it smothers the fire. Due to the salts it will burn if you have a cut just like regular salt would. Your chickens should be ok
They have been. I've been watching them like hawks the past 10 days. We're having the entire coop area and garage rewired to make sure everything is on GFI so we don't have a large chance of it happening again. My roo has been handsomely compensated for his service and bravery. He is usually pretty quiet and we may not have known as fast bad he not started crossing his head off and setting off the hens as well. Thank God.

Back
Top Bottom