Firm Swollen Abdomen

My vet and the feed store recommended Sevin dust. I always thought it was supposed to be toxic? Would the Permethrin be better for them? Also, will have have to toss the eggs?
Sevin dust would probably work but it is not labeled for use on poultry in the USA.
Permethrin is and there is no egg withdrawal with permethrin.

I'm so sorry that the vet did not feel it was worth risking draining her. There certainly are risks but she is most likely going to die anyway. The draining could give her significantly improved quality of life for a week or two, but yes there is a risk of infection and also she could go into shock due to sudden loss or pressure when the fluid is removed, but she might also feel near normal for a couple of weeks.

The lice are to be expected. She is probably not feeling well enough to dustbath and preen as much as she needs to, to keep herself free of them. I would not necessarily assume the whole flock and coop needs treating, as long as they have access to dust bathing facilities, but you can always check them. In my opinion, it is unreasonable to expect to completely eliminate lice, mites, worms, coccidia etc. Chickens are outdoor creatures and therefore exposed to these things. Under normal circumstances a healthy hen should be able to manage the parasitic load and keep it low but when their immune system is low or they are sick, these pests often capitalise on their weakness.
I wish you well with your house move and hope you and the rest of your flock are happy in your new home.

Do you think I should attempt to do it myself? I'm not sure I could find a syringe.

I've seen lice on them before. A chick born in the coop had some when I was holding him. I removed all the bedding from the floor of the whole coop then sprayed the floor and all the surfaces plus added some wood ash to their favorite dustbathing areas.

I hope the new environment will help them. They were all fine up and until a few months ago and then all hell broke loose.

Do you think I should attempt to do it myself? I'm not sure I could find a syringe.

I've seen lice on them before. A chick born in the coop had some when I was holding him. I removed all the bedding from the floor of the whole coop then sprayed the floor and all the surfaces plus added some wood ash to their favorite dustbathing areas.

I hope the new environment will help them. They were all fine up and until a few months ago and then all hell broke loose.
What did you use to spray?
Lice can be hard to get under control and get rid of.
You have to be sure to retreat often.

I would not attempt a paracentesis unless I was trained in the procedure. IMO, too many people are performing invasive procedures on their birds, when the outcome is not at all likely to improve the viability of that bird. Keep her comfortable, and when it's apparent that she's uncomfortable, a quick culling is my treatment of choice.

I would not attempt a paracentesis unless I was trained in the procedure. IMO, too many people are performing invasive procedures on their birds, when the outcome is not at all likely to improve the viability of that bird. Keep her comfortable, and when it's apparent that she's uncomfortable, a quick culling is my treatment of choice.
This is my method as well. I won’t drain fluid and I will no longer wait to euthanize a bird with ascites. I waited once and felt I only prolonged her suffering.

What did you use to spray?
Lice can be hard to get under control and get rid of.
You have to be sure to retreat often.
I believe it was the permethrine (sp?) I purchased it at Tractor Supply and it was for treatment of lice. I did not retreat. I am in the process of moving and so I will be sure to treat the birds before we move and then will treat the new coop. How often should I plan on treating the birds and coop once I get them moved?

Hi, I ended up making the decision to take her back to the vet to have the fluid drained. She has a fine appetite but was dragging this water balloon around just totally burdened with it. They did the procedure and got 260 ml of clear fluid. It was not infection but most likely heart or liver disease. The vet said since she is not acting sick it is probably the heart disease causing it. They offered to give her something to make her stop laying eggs so I decided to go ahead and do that. It was dose left over from another patient and they let me have it for free. It made a big difference in her demeanor to have that extra weight off her body. She immediately hopped up on the edge of her box when before she did not attempt it. I feel good about it. I know it is not a cure. When the time comes I will let her go. It just isn't time yet.

Back
Top Bottom