First Aid Kit for Guineas

Bicoastal

Songster
Dec 14, 2020
Central VA
I know I have some holes in my first aid kit, like Tylan. What items do I need?

I have:
  • Corrid
  • Ivermectin
  • Rooster Booster
  • Dichotomous earth
  • Blu Kote
  • Vetericyn
  • Iodine
  • Gauze
  • Vetwrap
I need to replenish:
  • Sav A Chick
  • Poly Vi Sol (which specific one? with iron? w/o iron?)
What do I need to add?
  • Tylan product -which one? Amoxy- or doxy-? There are a couple of different options on this pigeon supply site.
  • I think I've heard of an all-in-one or four- or five-way product. Is this it?
  • What else?

• Dichotomous earth
I assume that you mean diatomaceous earth. I would not use this for anything.

Of Rooster Booster, Sav A Chick, Poly Vi Sol and Nutri-drench, you only need one of them.

The only thing I keep on hand is Blu-Kote.

Medicines should be purchased when and as needed due to expiration dates.

Poly Vi Sol (which specific one? with iron? w/o iron?)
Get Poultry Nutri Drench instead.. PVS is supposed to be for those who can't get access to an appropriate product and then it is with NO iron.. (iron can be overdosed)

Rooster Booster
Is a brand name, not a product. Poultry Cell and Poultry Booster are both decent products in time of need.

I will also take this time to state please be careful when using multiple products like the sav a chic and rooster booster.. too many electrolytes or certain vitamins/minerals overlapping may cause more of an issue than they prevent. No supplement should be given more than 10 days in a row.
Dichotomous earth
Would be removed from my "kit"!

Ivermectin
For external parasites.. a good permethrin based "horse fly spray" is very effective and no egg withdrawal required in addition to being labeled for use in fowl.

If being used for internal parasites.. Ivomec is NOT effective against tape worms. Then Safegaurd can be used.

I don't personally throw antibiotics like Tylan around. Our bodies and theirs do this miraculous thing called producing antibodies, all on their own... If we just provide the right nutritional support in most cases.

Good for you for trying to be prepared!

Some of the items I listed I have for other animals but I’ve seen mentioned on BYC for this or that.

I just want to make sure I have what I need if/when I need it. I read here that things go downhill FAST so ordering a product after I notice a sick or injured bird may be too long of a delay.

Some of the items I listed I have for other animals but I’ve seen mentioned on BYC for this or that.

I just want to make sure I have what I need if/when I need it. I read here that things go downhill FAST so ordering a product after I notice a sick or injured bird may be too long of a delay.
@CluckNDoodle helped me put together a kit last fall - Tweezers, blunt scissors, qtips, cotton balls,neosporin w/o pain reliever, stypic, toothbrush, gloves,alcohol swabs, the vet wrap. For hatching/incubation, chlorhexadine solution to swab the belly button, one form of vitamins and electrolytes, & complex B vitamins for leg issues. - but as mentioned, these are things you'd get right before d/t expirations.
I also have in it a clean butter bowl and lids to use as prep surfaces, hand sanitizer, gloves. Always gloves.

@CluckNDoodle helped me put together a kit last fall - Tweezers, blunt scissors, qtips, cotton balls,neosporin w/o pain reliever, stypic, toothbrush, gloves,alcohol swabs, the vet wrap. For hatching/incubation, chlorhexadine solution to swab the belly button, one form of vitamins and electrolytes, & complex B vitamins for leg issues. - but as mentioned, these are things you'd get right before d/t expirations.
I also have in it a clean butter bowl and lids to use as prep surfaces, hand sanitizer, gloves. Always gloves.

I actually made a little video with my most commonly used items for assisted hatches and many of these items have come in handy with basic chicken first aid as well. I do plan to make another video with an overall first aid kit I just got busy. I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom