First chick hatched - leg staying bent near head??

jnr005

Chirping
Feb 10, 2016
So our first chick ever hatched! Healthy, rolling around...but one leg is extended normal and the other is staying bent by his head. He keeps rolling and trying to get up to no avail. Is this normal? Give it a few hours? I'll post a pic if I can figure it out.

So our first chick ever hatched! Healthy, rolling around...but one leg is extended normal and the other is staying bent by his head. He keeps rolling and trying to get up to no avail. Is this normal? Give it a few hours? I'll post a pic if I can figure it out.
Sounds like maybe a slipped tendon?? I think @WVduckchick has delt with slipped tendons. @RubyNala97 might have.....

I'm hoping it will work out over the next few hours...I'm reading up as much as I can on a slipped tendon. I would suck to have to cull our very first chick, but I also know if we can't fix it or it grows out of it that it's a fact of owning animals.

Yep that's sorta what it looks and sounds like. I know a few have been able to "fix" it, but I've had it happen twice now, with no luck :( But on the positive side, I had another that looked similar early on, but she turned out fine. She was scratching her own neck raw, but she got over it. It turned out not to be a slipped tendon.

Here's a great site for you to read over. Watch the chick, it may be ok. Good luck!

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

I'm hoping it will work out over the next few hours...I'm reading up as much as I can on a slipped tendon. I would suck to have to cull our very first chick, but I also know if we can't fix it or it grows out of it that it's a fact of owning animals.

Aww, cute little guy. I would give it some time. You'll know for sure in 12-24 hours. I had a slipped tendon once and it actually looked good at hatch but then was acting very lethargic and by the next day I realized it couldn't walk on its leg, it would slip out to the side. Hopefully if it is anything, it's just spraddle leg. That's an easy fix. And the site WV posted is great.

Happy to report that he seems to be doing well. Took him overnight to get it together. The other chick that just hatched was much more mobile out of the shell.

[VIDEO]

[/VIDEO]

Rico is doing well, happy and running around like the big chick he is. (I'm going with he because this chick is big and runs all of the others over!) lol

Back
Top Bottom