First Chicken arrival !!!!

f1berman

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 18, 2011
Rocky Ford (Louisburg) NC
I just received a Rhode Island Red hen. and a small coop. She is a sweet little bird. She isn't bother by the 3 large dogs, drooling over her. It is a start. for 4 years, I have read about chickens, food, coops, breeds, and disease. But I seem to have forgotten most all I have read.
I asking for input from more experienced breeders. My wife is now less relectant to me having a few chickens now. And I like to have a few more egg layers, and A couple of fancy ( Buffs, or Polish. but I am worried about mixing breeds.
On my first day, I bought oyster shells, grit, meal worms, chicken scratch and a bottle of essentail minerls, which I have not touched yet. I have also offered her fresh organic blueberries, black berries and peaches.
She really likes the peaches, and goes crazy when she sees a small snake or crickets. And I am worried that she may go after a small posionous snake. Can she handle that? or will she get bit?
After 4 days no eggs yet, I think that would be normal for a chicken that has just been moved. But I am not sure. I would appreciate any input if you have the time to reply.
Questions, am I missing any food items ? Can I purchase other breeds, or should I get another couple rhode island reds? Should I let her stay out all night, like the guy that gave her to me? Right now I lock her up about 730pm before going to work.

Thank you for taking the time to read and or reply.

>>>>> I have just learned that it is not a Rhode Island red, I believe it is a Red Star, due to its red white feathers >>>>> thank you you tube

Phil Bauman

Last edited:
Hi there! I am new to chickens myself so I probably can't offer up too much advice.

One thing I do encourage is to lock your bird up safely at dusk each day. The last thing you want is for a nasty predator to come by and snatch her. We have foxes here and I am always extremely prompt locking my girls up for the night, as dusk is the foxes favourite hunting time.

I have also read that after relocating chickens to new homes they can take a little while to re-start laying. If she was laying solidly before though I doubt it will take long for here to get back into the swing of things. Make sure she has a nice private nest box to lay in.

Feed wise - I have been told that layer pellets or layer crumbles are the way to go. They are balanced to include all the nutrients a laying hen will need. The grit and oyster shell are a good idea too, and she should have free access to those. It was suggested to me when I first started up with my girls that scratch is a treat only, and the bird's prime diet should be layer feed. That being said, I now have 5 out of 6 of my pullets laying every day, and they eat a fair bit of scratch!

As far as buying new birds - chickens like to run in a flock (or so I'm told), so I would think a few friends would very much enrich her life (and yours!) I would encourage you to invest in some compatible friends for her - the good folk here should be able to recommend suitable breeds for you.

That's about it from me, but I'm sure there are a lot of experienced chicken people here who can offer you some very sound advice.

Hope you get much enjoyment from your girl :) Krista

Chickens are flock animals so having more than one is a must. Often people will buy 3 so that if something happens to one then they will still have 2. Chances are she isn't sure what it was that you offered her.
Locking her up at night and checking that she is in the house before lock up is a good idea. I always do a quick head count to be sure. I hope your coup/ run is like a fort know for chickens due to predators.

Pellets are the way to go, they are made to include everything, however giving extras like protein ( old mince/ bacon, leftovers, pet mince/ a small slice of dog roll etc) is always good. And free access to fine grit is a must, if it is to big then it wont get eaten.

Mine love all manners or fruits and veges, lettuces, cabbages, tomato's, melons, grapes especially, apples and pears etc

Congratulations!

It is so wonderful when it 'all comes together' and your hard work starts to repay you.

Enjoy the eggs - there is nothing quite like freshly laid eggs.

Krista

Back
Top Bottom