First chickens. Pics, and questions.

tknjk

Songster
12 Years
Nov 28, 2007
Abilene, TX
I just got done building a coop, and run, and I have my first chicks.
I got 3 Buff Rocks, 3 Black Austrolorps (I can't spell it), and 1 barred rock.
The coop is sealed tight as a drum, and I can put the same 100w light
fixture as is in the pic of the brooder out in the coop with them. Do you
think they would be Ok? I don't know how old they are, but I bought them
a week or so ago, and I would guess they are about 3 weeks old, because
they had some little tail feathers on them when I bought them. What do
you think. I can keep them in the house about a week longer if I have to,
but the wife wants them outside, and off her dining room table.

28vr5t4.jpg

6r59vr.jpg

Nice fuzzy butts! I don't see why you can't put them in the coop. It sounds like it is a draft free enviroment. Just adjust the heat lamp to maintain the temp they are used to in the house. As long as you are predator proof, all should be fine. Good luck!

I'm not an expert, but they don't look more than 2 weeks old to me. They're going to need heat for at least 2 or 3 more weeks. What temp are they at now? If they're 2 weeks, they should be at about 85-90 degrees. Do you think you'll be able to hold a temp like that outside? They're very succeptable to drafts, too, but you do need to have SOME ventilation wherever they are.

They still look pretty young. If you're gonna put them outside make sure the light is low enough to provide heat, and keep an eye on them. If they're too cold they will huddle up under the light. Depending on how large your coop is you might want to make a wire barrier to keep them from going too far from the light. A barrier 2 feet or so in diameter should do it, maybe make it three just in case. That might be a little too much though for chicks that young. Whatever the case is you wanna make sure they don't go too far away from the light. If they spread out away from the light that means they're too hot. Good luck, and if u can't get the heat right to make them comfortable then just keep them inside for another week. They grow really fast, so another week might do it.

Thatnks for the advice. I may just keep them inside for another 5 days until I'm off next week. I'll stick a thermometer in the coop overnight tonight, and see what the temp gets down to.

Back
Top Bottom