Clevelcj

Chirping
Jun 17, 2018
Central VA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all. First off. I just want to say how amazing of a community this is. Everyone's advise and support has made the care and eventual culling of my chicken much easier on me.

The issues started a few months back. I noticed a larger than normal crop on one of my BA chickens (age unknown, got from local byc owner). After it was still enlarged the next day, I brought her inside. Massage, yogurt, pellet mush, monistat and the help of everyone here made it improve, but it never got back to empty. Eventually she went back out with the others. She did fine for the next 2 months, but about 3 days ago she took a turn. The crop became massive! I did everything I could, including the risky vomiting, but nothing worked. Eventually, the decision was made. She was suffering and I had to end it. I decided on killing cone and decapitation.

I went to home depot and got a cone and new tree loppers. I wanted them sharp and my current ones are old. the hard part with her was getting her head all the way down because the crop was so enlarged. I almost lost my nerve having to take her out and cut the hole bigger. Eventually she was ready, head through, loppers around the neck, now it was a question of my dedication to raising chickens. A deep breath and snip. That was it. The legs twitched above the come for about 60 sec after the head was off, then nothing. I buried her even though the ground is solid from the foot of snow we got yesterday and had a drink in her honor.

Overall, this was a hard but good learning experience. I have learned so much about sick and ailing chickens and how to treat them, and I know that I'll be able to do the deed again if necessary. I would probably try splitting the throat next time I have to do it, but i know this was effective and humane. I just want to see what's best for me. Please let me know if you have any questions about first time culling. I know it is hard, but it is our responsibility as homesteaders if we want to do the best we can for the farm and family. Thank you for reading. This drink is for you girl!

Hi all. First off. I just want to say how amazing of a community this is. Everyone's advise and support has made the care and eventual culling of my chicken much easier on me.

The issues started a few months back. I noticed a larger than normal crop on one of my BA chickens (age unknown, got from local byc owner). After it was still enlarged the next day, I brought her inside. Massage, yogurt, pellet mush, monistat and the help of everyone here made it improve, but it never got back to empty. Eventually she went back out with the others. She did fine for the next 2 months, but about 3 days ago she took a turn. The crop became massive! I did everything I could, including the risky vomiting, but nothing worked. Eventually, the decision was made. She was suffering and I had to end it. I decided on killing cone and decapitation.

I went to home depot and got a cone and new tree loppers. I wanted them sharp and my current ones are old. the hard part with her was getting her head all the way down because the crop was so enlarged. I almost lost my nerve having to take her out and cut the hole bigger. Eventually she was ready, head through, loppers around the neck, now it was a question of my dedication to raising chickens. A deep breath and snip. That was it. The legs twitched above the come for about 60 sec after the head was off, then nothing. I buried her even though the ground is solid from the foot of snow we got yesterday and had a drink in her honor.

Overall, this was a hard but good learning experience. I have learned so much about sick and ailing chickens and how to treat them, and I know that I'll be able to do the deed again if necessary. I would probably try splitting the throat next time I have to do it, but i know this was effective and humane. I just want to see what's best for me. Please let me know if you have any questions about first time culling. I know it is hard, but it is our responsibility as homesteaders if we want to do the best we can for the farm and family. Thank you for reading. This drink is for you girl!
:hugs I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

You are a good and dedicated chicken mama. You tried and gave her a chance and that’s all you can do. You did the right thing. Every time you cull, it gets easier in the sense you don’t hesitate but the emotional attachment is always hard. *hugs*

Back
Top Bottom