First EE eggs!

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
A peregrine falcon showed up today when the goats weren’t around and tried to get my chickens, they all hid in the barn, under tables and under the porch but Crutchie, who had a messed up leg so she can’t get away as easily, she went next to the fence which is bent over a bit and the falcon just sat there watching her, I scared it off but anyways, I looked in the barn making sure all of them were okay and they were, the I found out garlic, my white and brown Easter egger, has been laying eggs! She sat on three of them protectively but there was another nest of them, I’m so happy, does the color mean she’s an olive egger?

Attachments

• E43D2D0F-1C48-4B88-9BCB-3AB203DB944E.jpeg
    E43D2D0F-1C48-4B88-9BCB-3AB203DB944E.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 20
  • E435D21F-94B1-4DC6-8BBB-B8BC8562907F.jpeg
    E435D21F-94B1-4DC6-8BBB-B8BC8562907F.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 15
Yay! Of course, the first eggs are exciting -- but so is the fact that everyone is okay, especially Crutchie! I'm glad to hear she's still hanging in there.

There are nesting eagles a couple of miles to the southeast of my property, and one recently passed over the yard. I was so proud when even the youngsters -- who likely had never before seen an eagle -- instinctively ran under the trees and into the trumpet vines to hide.

Hope you don't have any more trouble with that hawk! Good luck keeping everyone safe.

Congratulations on the eggs. Be on high alert - the hawk will be back.
We put the goats back with them, it stays away if the goats are there but we just so happened to move them out front to clear out the weeds up there, we also have a mutt hunting dog, she wasn’t there at the time though, but she loves chasing birds

Last edited:
Yay! Of course, the first eggs are exciting -- but so is the fact that everyone is okay, especially Crutchie! I'm glad to hear she's still hanging in there.

There are nesting eagles a couple of miles to the southeast of my property, and one recently passed over the yard. I was so proud when even the youngsters -- who likely had never before seen an eagle -- instinctively ran under the trees and into the trumpet vines to hide.

Hope you don't have any more trouble with that hawk! Good luck keeping everyone safe.
This was the first time any of my chickens saw a falcon, we have lots of Hawks, eagles and falcons around here but before I had cinnamon she lived with horses so those birds stay away and here there was always the goats and dogs, they were so quick to hiding

Back
Top Bottom