First Egg Countdown

What kinds are your chickens? ...and I hate when people play tricks on me. Eggs are serious business. Lol :) My Sex Links laid at 18 weeks. Barred Rocks and BO at 17. Waiting on Easter eggers....then the 30+ other chickens. Yay!

And yes!!! I was soooo angry! It didn't take me but a few minutes to know they weren't from my chickens, but the initial excitement that was ruined, made me angry enough I got into my van and left for a few hrs. I've worked my butt off raising and learning about these gals (&guy), and didn't find it a bit amusing!!

TIm the same way! I got to see 3 lay first eggs though. For the most part can tell which egg belongs to who. Still just as fun finding eggs weeks after starting to get them. :) 6 laying, so the most I've gotten in one day is 5 eggs. Want all the other colors too though! Ahhh! Can't wait. Going to be a really cool basket.

Id be mad too! We put a lot into this and have a long wait! :( People don't get how hard we work with them and how waiting for months is stinkin hard. Good thing my mother-in-law is scared of my chickens. Ha!! Good. Stay away from my eggs.

And yes!!! I was soooo angry! It didn't take me but a few minutes to know they weren't from my chickens, but the initial excitement that was ruined, made me angry enough I got into my van and left for a few hrs. I've worked my butt off raising and learning about these gals (&guy), and didn't find it a bit amusing!!
My husband did that to me.. Except he put a big smooth round potatoe in there and half covered it in shavings! I thought my chicken had laid a triple yolker!!! I was hooping and hollering until I picked it up and hear all the laughter behind me! Needless to say, I called my DH a few choice names!

Raising my very first chickens! They are 18 weeks old and I got my first egg yesterday morning!!! I wasn't real sure because my mother-in-law had tried to play a trick a few weeks ago and put 3 grocery store eggs in my nest boxes. I knew I didn't have 3 hens ready though! This one was small, brown, with white speckles, still I was apprehensive to get excited. Then this morning, I heard the egg song!!!!!! NOW, I'm soooo happy!!
Gotta love the egg-layin' song, eh?
I went and checked again after I saw they were all back out in the run, and I found ANOTHER egg!!! She was laying!! That's 3 in 2 days!! I have 5 hens, so should start moving along well!!
Eggcellent!!!!!
My husband did that to me.. Except he put a big smooth round potatoe in there and half covered it in shavings! I thought my chicken had laid a triple yolker!!! I was hooping and hollering until I picked it up and hear all the laughter behind me! Needless to say, I called my DH a few choice names!
Ah yes. The ol' fake egg trick for us newbies. Glad my MIL lives far enough away, or I would've fallen for it.

Quote:
That's just mean.

It is a sad day when you have 18 hens of laying age and 9 of them are broody. I'm lucky to get 4-5 eggs a day. These broodies are driving me bonkers. I have a 4 1/2 year old Production Red that is broody for Pete's sake! Thankfully, I've got a bunch of girls soooooooooooooooo close to laying. I can't wait!

I have six new pullets this year. My one and only red sex link started laying at an early age of 14 weeks and is laying nearly every day now. she started out laying a couple rubber eggs first. Her first real egg was laid in the nesting boxes right up w the big hens. I was so proud of her! The rest of the chicks are now 17 weeks and the 3 GL Wyandottes are red faced, but nothing yet. My white leghorn is pale pink faced and the EE I'm especially anxious to see what color she lays. My new Roo is very actively trying to mate w them, but he is traumatizing most of them.

After wiping out my flock with disease and starting over I now have 71 chickens I'm feeding and not a single egg! 30 of them are CC for meat though! Of the other 41 there are a few roos maybe 5 and the pullets are all between 17 and 19 weeks. Some are starting to get red combs. I can't wait!!!!!!! I have rsl, bsl, br,ee,wyandottes, and americanas.

Tomorrow it will be. 2 weeks since my first one started squated... So hoping for my first egg to tomorrow... Do pullets go longer then 2 weeks of squating in winter?? Mine are RSL.

Ok, Chicken Friends, what is the egg squat everyone is talking about? My older hens squat down in submission to me when they'll let me pet them. I doubt we're talking about the same thing???

Back
Top Bottom