First Egg Countdown

I use hay and they seem to love it. I have a couple of nests lined with shavings and they never lay in those. They make a perfect little circle in the middle of the nest in which they lay their eggs. It's so funny too, right now I have 4 girls that are laying in the same nest and my little White Cochin (Lucy) has her very own nest that she has been using. One of my other girls is laying in her own nest also, but none of them use the two with the shavings?
idunno.gif

I use straw, with herbs thrown in as recommended on a blog I really like. They said rose petals, too - but that only makes it look pretty for about a day :) Some of the herbs (or so it was said) helps to deter mites and the like when you've got a broody hen. I haven't had a hen go broody but it seemed like a cool idea, and does make the coop smell better! I've just used what I had a whole lot extra of .... spearmint and oregano.

Alrighty, I'll join in.

Welsummer pullet, 23 1/2 weeks. Eagerly awaiting her egg as she's the first from my breeding. I just hope and pray the egg is as beautiful as she is. Saw her "investigating" the nest box this morning.
fl.gif

IMG_3819.jpg

I have barnevelders too, but they're only 13 weeks, so I have a ways to go for them!
That looks EXACTLY like my Ameracauna....

Back
Top Bottom