First egg still attached -- should I be concerned?

Sqwidy

Songster
6 Years
Dec 13, 2014
Austin, TX
Hi Guys,

I'm a first-time chicken owner, and my dominique is laying her first egg right now. But she's not nesting. She's up and about. I went out to give them some veggies before I took out the compost, and it was stuck to her bottom. It's a little bloody/sticky, so I thought it might be stuck to her feathers. I rinsed the area, and it is attached. (Not just to feathers.) So I just set her down.

She seems confused. I am for sure ;)

Is there anything I should do? Is it normal for a first-time laying pullet to walk around and lay at the same time?

Thanks for your help!

Ashley

Here's a picture of the pullet I'm talking about in the post above. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I'm not an expert, but that seems odd. What do you mean by "stuck"? Is the egg still inside the chicken or is it stuck somehow to the outside of the chicken? It's a little hard to tell from the pic. One of my pullets was egg bound with her first egg. The vet recommended placing her in a warm steamy room over giving her a bath so if you have a small bathroom you can put her in and turn the shower on pretty warm and run it for a 10 or 15 minutes that may help. I'm not sure what you mean by the egg being stuck. Is it still inside the chicken? If so you can also try lubing the area with some KY jelly or something like that. Good luck.

The warm bath worked!! I placed her in the water and really washed the area and very slowly it started to come free. Thanks so much for the help guys! She seemed really confused, and she has a wet bottom, but she seems great. :D

THANKS!!

Could that be a prolapsed vent? It doesn't look much like an egg to me. The only part of an egg that is ever attached in the yolk while it is still immature and in the ovary.
I am concerned that she might also have that. There is still tissue protruding. Hrm. Is this something I could tend to, or does she need to go to a vet?

Back
Top Bottom