First Egg Stories?

Pics

BirdGirl2004

Crowing
Nov 19, 2016
Huntington, Indiana
Hey guys, I was thinking back to the time I got my very first egg and how overjoyed I was! I would like to here everybody's stories!

It all started on a beautiful mid-morning stroll past the coop when I saw my Leghorn (ungracefully) fly up to the nesting boxes and duck herself in to the warm dark cozy nesting boxes. I about peed myself then out of excitement.
I checked on her about every 2 1/2 minutes making sure she was "okay" while checking under her. about a half hour later i heard a horrible screech repeatedly which now is now know as the "egg song." I flew to the coop faster than I have ever ran in my life... lying there in the pile of dry straw was a beautiful, puny, heavenly egg. I screamed. I don't know why i did it, but i did. I was so excited I had to let my enthusiasm out some how. I did multiple jigs on the way in to the house, and finally entered in to the house, yelling "MOOOOMMMM!"

I had lots of photoshoots with that teensy egg, sending them to all of my relatives, which now i realized was kind of strange, but hey, who isn't excite about your first egg?!

My husband's cousin (Jay) built my daughter's coop. He did a fabulous job. We all had a painting party when it was finally done. Sadly Jay passed away in a tragic motorcycle accident and it hit all of us so hard. They day of Jay's funeral and burial, my daughter checked the coop. Sure enough the first egg (and a sign we all needed). That evening after services we took the egg to break on the ground at his burial site. That crazy egg would not break after each of us threw it down. So we just cracked it over a stone. Once again a gentle reminder and sign that he continued to joke around with us.

I woke up one morning in September, got ready, then went out to my chickens like usual. But it felt different, and I got excited. I checked the nesting box like I had been for the past few weeks, and there was a beautiful brown egg. I'm not even very sure what I did at first. I think I sort of blacked out from being so excited. I just remember that I almost dropped it because if my excitement. I ran in, told everyone, and are it for breakfast. But, when I got to school I realized that I forgot my homework... Oh well, it was worth it!

Well we had a pleasant surprise just moments ago ... wife went with me to check some trail cams on the back of the property as we drove by the chicken coop I stopped and told her I had a few min project to take care of . I had my nesting boxes screened off since I built the coop as not to get any bad habits started ( IE: roosting in nesting boxes ) Our birds are just now 16 weeks and while everyone suggested that bigger chicken ( we have Orpingtons , Australorps and silver & gold laced Wyandottes ) were prone to be closer to the 20 week mark a couple of our hens were acting like they maybe thinking about dealing us a surprise ..Well sure enough I went in and started removing the mesh from the nesting boxes and looked down to find our first egg ! Soon as they had free access to the boxes one of our Wyandottes get busy fixing it up . While I was cleaning up my little project found another egg , both in the coop so maybe won't have a problem with them doing their laying in the run ( have a deep litter run full of leaf mulch )

Anyway 16 weeks 4 day first eggs ! both small but good shells and clean !! So far so good

A lady I worked with started keeping chickens and was concerned her husband didn't want to eat "yard eggs". He only liked the store bought kind. I thought this was strange since I prefer yard eggs for the taste and she agreed.

Any way, I told her, "Straight from a birds butt to his mouth, what is the difference?"

Never did find out if he started eating the yard eggs after that. But I'm still waiting for our first egg. The excitement builds...

My grandfather built us a chicken coop, even though he shouldn't have been on his feet. When his health declined, I had 6 month old pullets, and he kept telling me to replace the nest box shavings with straw. 11 days after he passed away, I finally switched to straw, and 2 hours later my Australorp, Agatha, had laid her first egg.

About 30 minutes ago I JUST GOT MY FIRST EGG!!! It's a beautiful pale blue, so I know it's from one of my two Cream Legbars - either "Noodle" or "Beaker". We are new to chickens and have had four 22 week-old started pullets for a couple of weeks along with two year-old Cream Legbars. I was out talking to them and working on getting them used to being handled while bribing them with treats. Meanwhile my hubby checked the nesting boxes... We haven't had any eggs, so I wasn't paying much attention and was busy baby-talking to my girls and petting them. As soon as I turned around and saw his face (he KNEW I would be elated) I accidentally fell back on my butt while squeaky gleefully like a kid. I didn't care if I was in a pile of poo. There it was in his right hand - a beautiful, large, and perfect pale blue egg. I of course got my picture made with it at the coop like I just won a first place trophy!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3469.JPG
    IMG_3469.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 8
We got our first egg this morning!

This is our first time keeping chickens. We brought our first girls home as chicks on March 19. Two Red Sex Links and two Black Australorps. Since then we've added a Welsummer, an Ameraucana/Easter Egger and two Blue Copper Marans and two Lavender Orpingtons bringing our flock to a total of ten.

The originals are now 17 1/2 weeks old and had started showing signs of being ready. In particular the one of the Red Sex Links had gotten much more calm and tame and was squatting for us. Every morning I've been opening the nesting box door before opening the pop door and this girl would jump in to squat and get pets.

Today happened like every other day, except when I went back out to the coop a couple hours later, I again checked the nest box and there it was, a perfect little brown egg with just a bit of fluff butt fuzz on it. Best day! It's pretty small. My husband says I should make a mug cake with it. I'll wait until he comes home to crack it open and see what is happening on the inside.
IMG_1265.JPG

Back
Top Bottom