First Egg Stories?

20170720_174318.jpg
It just happened today! We'd been on EGG WATCH since we had our 1st squatter! My BCM girl (named Truffle) laid this precious gem!

Attachments

• 20170720_174318.jpg
    20170720_174318.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 10
I was about nine or ten. We went to go "tuck in" the chickens for the night when we spotted something small and brown on the floor. Could it be??? At last???? We picked it up, ran through the hall SCREAMING - my little sister was holding it and the thin shell broke while she gripped it in excitement. We dropped it in the pan just in time. Best egg I've ever tasted. :)

I guess in a east it wasnt me first egg that changed my world. But the first egg from my second layer, and each hens first after that.

See our first hen came to us, about a 1 year old stray already laying, actually my sister found her and the hen stayed at my mom's for about a week while we got our first coop up. So her fittest egg was of no surprise to me as we knew she was laying, she had given my mom 4 or 5 already. But then so she want lonely we got 5 hens (or pullets) from a friend 3 should have been laying or close too and 2 much younger then the others possibly only 8 weeks. I don't think it was quite as exciting as the 20wk wait we did the following year with chicks, but 2 weeks in thier new home and we got our first egg from the five and later or second first egg. About 10 weeks with hens I had 5 of six layers but waiting on #6 was the longest. My black astrolph mix, she lays the prettiest light olive eggs took her almost 9 months to lay her first only weeks after I got my first round of baby chicks to add to my flock. Now her, black betty we call her, I think i could have died when i saw her egg I didn't expect a green from her but it's more olive then blue from the other greens I have.

My first egg came from quails!
I clean my cages every week on Friday morning before garbage pick-up comes. I cleaned all my brooders with ducklings, chickens, and quails first then moved to my adult cages where my quails were kept in inside during winter. It was a wintry cold day in January. When I first started cleaning the brooders one of my adult quails was making a loud noise as if in pain or distress. So I thought maybe they want dust bathe. I gave them their dust bath pans filled and continued on with the cleaning. When I got to my adult cages, I moved all quails to a holding cage while I cleaned. I started scooping out the bedding and didn't notice the big quail egg right in my face inside the dust bath pan. I started adding new bedding and got some in their dust bath pan. So I started picking the bedding out. Then low and behold I felt a round lump in the dust. I wiped it off and it was my first quail egg! I ran throughout my house screaming "I got an egg, I got an egg" Over and over for the whole day.. I spent that whole day and night sitting in there watching my quails waiting for more eggs. When i finally called it quits , I grabbed my very first egg and started walking to my room with it..... My dog was supper hyper and ran past me and caused me to trip and .... the egg went flying.. It smacked the wall and my dog ate it.. I was so upset, but the next morning I got 4 more eggs and more and more each day because I had a lot of quails coming to laying age.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Eventually I got swamped in eggs and decided I should share my wonderful eggs with others, so I gave them to homeless people on the streets and neighbors. (I live in a area where there are a lot of homeless people, mainly from Chicago.) I actually do a "meet and eat" events for homeless people in my neighborhood. I do it 4 times a year, once on my B-day, once on the day before Easter, once on the day before thanksgiving, and once on the day before Christmas. But I never turn a hungry person down.

Hello everybody! Great stories!

I am not sure where to post this, but it is pertaining to my first egg, so I hope here is alright.

We got our first egg last night. We were not looking for them, because I thought our chickens were still too young, around 4 months old. And I found 3 more this morning when I went to let them out.

20170720_205526.jpg

The next pic is of when we first got the baby chicks, we got some barn yard mixes and RIR. We bought them on March 19th. They were adorable, we had bought 37 total and we now have 28.
20170319_133259.jpg

The next picture is of them on May 5. They have doubled in size since then and we will start getting rid of our roosters except for 2. We will have about 13 hens.
20170505_194618.jpg

I assumed they were a few weeks old when we bought them. But I am guessing I was wrong. I know there was one that was bigger and older. But I think that one is a rooster, or it didn't make it.

Does anyone have any idea how old they should be? I was thinking 4 months.

I just have to say the journey from baby chick to egg has been awesome!

Thanks in advance for all help!

I noticed one of our pullets was checking out the nest boxes today. I saw her in each of the 4 boxes, then noticed she'd seemed to choose a favorite and was hanging out in there for most of the afternoon. I went out to check on her, she was standing in the nest box, I checked on the rest of our flock and came back around to find the cutest little egg under her! I have never ever been this excited about an egg! Our older 4 pullets will be 21 weeks this weekend, and our first egg is from our SLW, Trixie.

Attachments

• IMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_2962.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2966.JPG
    IMG_2966.JPG
    420.6 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom