How many red Sexlinks do you have? I have 6 & once they started laying, I get 6 eggs a day from them. I don't remember any of them missing a day.

I only have the one, named Feisty. The rest are Black Laced Silver Wyandottes...three of them. They are the same age but developing a bit slower.
I've heard the sex-links are laying machines so I'll probably be getting a few more. I was thinking of black sex-links this time.
I think one of the Wyandottes will start soon also. Her comb is getting redder and larger now like Feisty.

I also want Speckled Sussex, Australorp, and maybe Partridge Rocks
( I'm crazy for the partridge color pattern!:love)
We need to build a larger coop first. :barnie

Here's my small flock:
IMG_6881.JPG

image.jpg
These are eggs from my 2 breeds. 2 smaller Lite colored from Australorps & 2 dark brown from the Red Sexlinks. I've never weighed the pullets but when I pick them up, the Australorps feel 2 times heavier than the RSL. I really wanted to get Barred Rocks again. They have been my "go to" chickens since I've been an adult. However, on a visit to the feed store to buy horse feed, my husband saw the red Sexlink & Black Australorp chicks & wanted them "now"! After buying the Sexlinks, I learned that they are egg laying machines. However, they often have short lives due to cancer & reproductive system problems.

Because my last name is "Ham", I think I'll start another flock this spring that lays only green eggs. An idea that another BYC member gave me.
There are a lot of coop ideas here. And the BYC members are extremely helpful when you need advise.

View attachment 1236371 These are eggs from my 2 breeds. 2 smaller Lite colored from Australorps & 2 dark brown from the Red Sexlinks. I've never weighed the pullets but when I pick them up, the Australorps feel 2 times heavier than the RSL. I really wanted to get Barred Rocks again. They have been my "go to" chickens since I've been an adult. However, on a visit to the feed store to buy horse feed, my husband saw the red Sexlink & Black Australorp chicks & wanted them "now"! After buying the Sexlinks, I learned that they are egg laying machines. However, they often have short lives due to cancer & reproductive system problems.

Because my last name is "Ham", I think I'll start another flock this spring that lays only green eggs. An idea that another BYC member gave me.
There are a lot of coop ideas here. And the BYC members are extremely helpful when you need advise.

Wow those eggs are big! I think I need to get heavier birds because mine keep jumping over our chain link fence. :he
I'm going to have to clip one wing on each of them because it's getting exhausting trying to keep them in the yard all the time.
The fence is only about 3 1/2 to 4 feet high. I knew they'd try to jump it but I didn't think they'd do it that often since it's a big yard. :barnie

I've heard that sex-links can have health problems. I would like to have a fairly mixed flock. Even some bantams. My roo is a Dark Brahma bantam. he's very calm and has great instincts with the pullets.

So I weighed Feisty’s first four eggs this morning.
The first three are 1.8 ounces.
Today’s egg came in at 1.9 ounces.
I did some internet searches and I guess they’re considered medium in size.
To think that’s pretty good for her first eggs.
She’s been laying one each morning between 9 - 10am.

Back
Top Bottom