First Emu Egg- Need Help!

Quote:
My goats eat off the ground as well. I just through the hay out in piles for them to cut down the squabbles.

Heaven forbid they eat it after it has been stepped on, though.
lol.png

I do the same,my goats and sheep eat together and I put many piles for them so they don't get in each other face
smile.png

Quote:
We get some strong winds here,but I will get some more leaves and just lay it on or near the nest,we will see if they approve

Quote:
Bad news!!!!!!
sad.png
roll.png
One of the eggs is broken......why?
They lay one of them on the hill side , another in the bushes ,so we placed the egg from the hill to another area where they started building the nest .
It was fine for 2 days,but today they killed it!
I know that only one pair was breeding, the other pair only bread a week ago.
Could it be that another pair already started with their eggs and the egg in the bushes was theirs,so they broke the egg that did not belong to them?
I have read so much, when people put more eggs in the nest and it's fine....now I don't know what to do. The egg thats left in the nest is dirty with the remains of the other egg, I am thinking of taking it in the house.
Is there anything I need to know about storing it,washing it? I do not have the incubator yet!
Any help would be appreciated.

Those shells are thick, so I'd just clean it up and put it back. If you want them to learn to set, and you don't have a bator, I'd leave it. They may be inexperienced and stepped on it..... they may have layed on it and the sticks may have cracked it..... not sure. If I was you I'd get rid of the sticks and try to find softer bedding to give them, ask some neighbors for leaves or pine needles. . Also make a small depression in the sand and put the egg in it..... They will have to learn, .....
fl.gif

Quote:
I have seen depressions from the beak on the broken shell, so I assume they broke it intentionally...I am sad- there was a baby
sad.png
I will go get get it and wash it...I am just scared if they will break it again.
I have a pine tree, so we will get bunch of them and try to replicate the nest without the sticks. This is our first time having eggs, we rescued our guys about 2 month ago.
Thank you for your reply!

P.S. Gonna get myself a bator!

The female may have broke it while trying to walk around it, or the male trying to set down. Once it breaks they will investigate it. I don't know if they knew it was from another pair but if people can get them to set on nerf balls... I would think it wouldn't be a big deal....
lol.png

How long has he sat on them? Surprised you'd see any embryo yet.... hummm..
hu.gif

Don't worry about getting more eggs... pretty soon you'll be saying.... STOP LAYING.... WHERE AM I GOING TO PUT ALL THESE !!!!
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom