First free-ranging suggestions?

Aug 21, 2022
Hi, new owner here. I have six 18-week-olds.

They are in a very nice coop and covered run. They have been in the coop/run since 4 weeks of age and they roost well. However, I have as of yet to free range them. I know all say not to be too worried about predators. However, I've seen cats carried away by our local hawk families. My yard only has a tree line on the outer edges, so the main yard and garden are open to air predators. Predators, as well as the chickens flying over our fences, are my main concerns. Having only 6, losing only one would be a detriment.

So my thought is that maybe I'd try a free-range day while I'm working in the garden doing clean-up, etc. Hoping my movement in the yard (.5 acres) will deter the hawks and I can keep an eye on the chickens.

Two questions I have are; First, do chickens often try to fly/jump a fence? I have standard high cyclone fencing. So they will be able to see right through to what's on the other side. Second.....how do you get them back to the coop and run when you want them back in? Treats?

Just curious about your thoughts and ideas on this subject. And please, if this is the wrong place to post or there are postings on this subject, please direct me there.

Thanks in advance!

Laura

Free ranging is always a risk, regardless of you being home or not.
What breeds do you have? Many of our birds can easily clear six foot fencing; some will if motivated, some won't bother. You can help them by having hiding places, as in a picnic table, or pallets or some objects up on blocks that the birds can get under, without being trapped.
Chickens were jungle animals, and prefer shrubs and tree lines, rather than open spaces. Your youngsters will have instincts, but don't have adults to help them be alert for predators, at least until that first attack.
Raptors take one bird at a time, while a canine can kill multiples all at once.
Train your birds to come when called; a specific call involving treats, which you can do in their run.
First outside activities should be late in the day, maybe an hour or so before they would be roosting. They will be motivated to return to their coop to roost, and won't have travelled far in that short time. It shouldn't be necessary to do anything but watch as they go to the coop. Always count heads every night! And at first if you have someone wanting to roost outside, be ready to get that bird in.
We have a big long handled fish net from the sporting good store for that sort of thing...
Mary

Free ranging is always a risk, regardless of you being home or not.
What breeds do you have? Many of our birds can easily clear six foot fencing; some will if motivated, some won't bother. You can help them by having hiding places, as in a picnic table, or pallets or some objects up on blocks that the birds can get under, without being trapped.
Chickens were jungle animals, and prefer shrubs and tree lines, rather than open spaces. Your youngsters will have instincts, but don't have adults to help them be alert for predators, at least until that first attack.
Raptors take one bird at a time, while a canine can kill multiples all at once.
Train your birds to come when called; a specific call involving treats, which you can do in their run.
First outside activities should be late in the day, maybe an hour or so before they would be roosting. They will be motivated to return to their coop to roost, and won't have travelled far in that short time. It shouldn't be necessary to do anything but watch as they go to the coop. Always count heads every night! And at first if you have someone wanting to roost outside, be ready to get that bird in.
We have a big long handled fish net from the sporting good store for that sort of thing...
Mary
Thanks for the comments. I have 2 Novogens, 1 Australorp, 1 Silver laced Wyandotte, 1 Jersey Giant, and 1 Color Pack (I know there is another name for her though). All approx. 18 weeks. They do come to me in the run for treats, but I was afraid they would think the treats were not worth it while out free ranging. Trying an hour before coop time is a great idea, as they are very regulated to get to the roost when it gets dark. The raptors are the biggest fear (as I'm looking out my window at two flying around a nearby forested area). They have taken neighborhood cats.....sad to see them fly away with them. I could move my picnic bench table out to the open area for some safety.

Above advice is great. With raptors, it's about assessing risk, at least for me. I have hawks in my neighborhood. I only free range my small flock when I'm with them. Over time (about two years) I got more confident and would move around the yard further, sometimes running in the house for a minute or two. That ended last week when the hawk attacked my girls. I was right next to the tree where the hawk tried to pick off one hen on a low branch. Fortunately, the hawk did not succeed.

I figured it would happen one day and I'm fortunate the hawk did not succeed. The girls have been in their well-protected run ever since. I'll let them out again, but will stick very close to them.

They do come to me in the run for treats, but I was afraid they would think the treats were not worth it while out free ranging.
Go with high value treats, whatever they seem to like best. Before giving out the treats, rattle the treat container/bag or choose a specific call for them to come, and always use the call/rattle and then dole out the treat. Treat 100% of the time you do that, and don't use those treats for anything else - that will really encourage them to want to come whenever they hear the signal.
The raptors are the biggest fear (as I'm looking out my window at two flying around a nearby forested area). They have taken neighborhood cats.....sad to see them fly away with them. I could move my picnic bench table out to the open area for some safety.
Depending on your raptors, even being outside with them may not be enough. One guy from the feed store said he had an eagle steal a duck from his yard while he was standing there... just swooped down, chased it to the other side of the yard and took off with it as he yelled and ran after it.

Having cover helps, but that's also reliant on the chickens paying enough attention to run for cover when needed. Some flocks are better at that than others...

Hi, new owner here. I have six 18-week-olds.

They are in a very nice coop and covered run. They have been in the coop/run since 4 weeks of age and they roost well. However, I have as of yet to free range them. I know all say not to be too worried about predators. However, I've seen cats carried away by our local hawk families. My yard only has a tree line on the outer edges, so the main yard and garden are open to air predators. Predators, as well as the chickens flying over our fences, are my main concerns. Having only 6, losing only one would be a detriment.

So my thought is that maybe I'd try a free-range day while I'm working in the garden doing clean-up, etc. Hoping my movement in the yard (.5 acres) will deter the hawks and I can keep an eye on the chickens.

Two questions I have are; First, do chickens often try to fly/jump a fence? I have standard high cyclone fencing. So they will be able to see right through to what's on the other side. Second.....how do you get them back to the coop and run when you want them back in? Treats?

Just curious about your thoughts and ideas on this subject. And please, if this is the wrong place to post or there are postings on this subject, please direct me there.

Thanks in advance!

Laura
You’ll have some chickens that can fly the coop. Identify those and clip their wings. Anytime they get an opportunity to jump up on something and then on something else and then fly down from the top of the fence some of them do that. Because of predators I’m very protective of the chickens and keep them in the fenced area when I’m not out there and I don’t know how to protect them from hawks. but yes I let them free range when I’m out there because predators aren’t likely to come close. But you’d be surprised how occasionally coyotes have approached even when I’m just 100 feet away. in which case I yell and scream and wave my arms & occasionally have jumped in my all wheel drive vehicle to intimidate them. Chickens usually go running back to the coop. As for how do you get them back in - you could have some feed in a container and shake it and start calling “Here Chicky Chicky Chicky.” Furthermore I have taught mine when I say “go in” and then I have two long flimsy sticks that I hold out and kind of corral them toward the covered chicken coop. My great mixed border collie dog also helps. I’ve taught him how to help round up the chickens.

@Folly's place had great advice.

Does your flock have any roosters? They'll help you protect the hens. Also, may I suggest ducks? My ducks tell me when there are Hawks. (The Hawks don't seem to like being stared at by a human, they find some where else to be)

@cincyfarmgirl's advice on how to train you chickens to come home is great, and what I do as well.

Letting your birds out is a calculated risk. There isn't a guarantee. I have lost a couple due to dogs, though none to Hawks. Otoh, I also love watching my chicken chase bugs and such through out the day, and them really help keep the pests down.

Back
Top Bottom