First hatch chicks flipped over pipped eggs, not looking good

I would not leave them alone. Help them by chipping away more of the shell and the top section of membrane every hour until there is about half the egg left then they should be able to get out on their own. Also carefully moisten the exposed membranes with olive oil or coconut oil.

Thanks.... I’m going to set alarms and check on them every hour, but I need sleep desperately, I’ve been watching them for two days straight now... when I fell asleep yesterday was when I lost my chick, I won’t make that mistake again... and next time I will be hatching in cartons or cradles or something to stop the chicks from playing soccer with their unhatched buddies for sure! I think the first one I helped out may have been impact damage from a collision with another egg and not a pip... I looked in and there was a big shell hole but nothing piercing the membrane... I didn’t realize how stressful this would be! Thanks for all the support

Thanks.... I’m going to set alarms and check on them every hour, but I need sleep desperately, I’ve been watching them for two days straight now... when I fell asleep yesterday was when I lost my chick, I won’t make that mistake again... and next time I will be hatching in cartons or cradles or something to stop the chicks from playing soccer with their unhatched buddies for sure! I think the first one I helped out may have been impact damage from a collision with another egg and not a pip... I looked in and there was a big shell hole but nothing piercing the membrane... I didn’t realize how stressful this would be! Thanks for all the support
:hugs hatching is really stressful ive been exactly where you are. Get sleep before attempting youll need it.

28828FCC-3088-49ED-A47D-93A5BDA7222A.jpeg So I checked every hour last night and one little girl made it out on her own and the membranes looked super dry and leathery on the other two, I started to try and assist and tore the inner membrane (barely!) on one and there was a lot of bleeding. I’m totally freaking, out the temp in the incubator dropped down to 96, humidity dropped to 82%... I have wrapped the two remaining eggs with warm damp paper towels, the one that got out had a big chunk of outer membrane stuck and hardened to her wing. I’m worried about the other 14 eggs in this incubator (none have pipped not sure if that is good or bad at this point) and I think these chicks are definitely shrink wrapped.

Any change? I would scrap the damp paper towels around the eggs as this can lower their temperature. Instead carefully apply olive oil or vaseline on the exposed membranes. Your humidity is very high but they do sound like they are shrink wrapped.

When assisting moisten the membrane with oil and this way it is easy to see if there are veins or not. First very carefully peel off the shell with tweezers in tiny pieces and then apply oil with a cotton bud or something. Then peel back tiny bits of membrane if it looks clear. If you see any blood then put the egg back and try again in another hour. :fl

View attachment 1559548 So I checked every hour last night and one little girl made it out on her own and the membranes looked super dry and leathery on the other two, I started to try and assist and tore the inner membrane (barely!) on one and there was a lot of bleeding. I’m totally freaking, out the temp in the incubator dropped down to 96, humidity dropped to 82%... I have wrapped the two remaining eggs with warm damp paper towels, the one that got out had a big chunk of outer membrane stuck and hardened to her wing. I’m worried about the other 14 eggs in this incubator (none have pipped not sure if that is good or bad at this point) and I think these chicks are definitely shrink wrapped.
With over 80% theyre gonna have a harder time breathing. Normal hatching humidity (for me) is between 60% - 75%

Give them more time, if theres blood try to stop it. Putting the membrane back over the bleeding part can help to stop it, but it will also stick to the chick. Try to use pieces that you already have of the outer membrane if you can so that it doesnt have to be peeled off again. Also light pressure with a q-tip can help.

If the bleeding you found was near where the air cell is wait another 4 hours minimum before trying again.

View attachment 1559548 So I checked every hour last night and one little girl made it out on her own and the membranes looked super dry and leathery on the other two, I started to try and assist and tore the inner membrane (barely!) on one and there was a lot of bleeding. I’m totally freaking, out the temp in the incubator dropped down to 96, humidity dropped to 82%... I have wrapped the two remaining eggs with warm damp paper towels, the one that got out had a big chunk of outer membrane stuck and hardened to her wing. I’m worried about the other 14 eggs in this incubator (none have pipped not sure if that is good or bad at this point) and I think these chicks are definitely shrink wrapped.
The humidity is too high, should be 60 to 65% . High humidity greater than 70% will cause the chick to become "stuck", it can't rotate inside the shell in order to zip, thus becomes stuck...which is totally different from shrink wrapping.

I did use very warm towels. I’ve moved them back but am terrified of the temp dropping if I open it again. there’s an event in the building and the doors are opening set up sheets to help block any draft, but won’t be able to assist further for a while. I have no idea how to get the humidity down without dropping the temp? Any suggestions???

I’m thinking I can clean out one of my incubators, move the remaining 5 eggs in it in with the other 14 or so... drop the humidity that way, then move the eggs into it once the temperature is up again? Would this help the other eggs that haven’t pipped? The humidity was fine until lockdown, then it skyrocketed from 50-55% up to 70... climbing all the time up to even 85%... we live in a fairly humid area to begin with. And I barely added any water at lockdown. Is there any way I might be able to save the rest of the hatch? Please help!

Back
Top Bottom