First Jumbo Egg

GC-Raptor

Free Ranging
7 Years
Jul 26, 2016
Connecticut, USA
At nineteen and half weeks I got my first jumbo size at 71 grams.
What's strange about that is all of the other eggs I have, 36 of them, are between 42 and 55 grams.
One of the girls went from medium to JUMBO. I haven't got a large or EL.
Now only one of the five girls have not laid yet, or has she. Could this be her first egg. Now half of the egg has a band on it, like it cracked and deposited calcium.
What do you think? Shown with a small and medium-sized. GC

Could be a double yolk. Your hen must have paused half way through pushing it out to probably catch her breath and push again, hence the midline crack.

Pic is kind of fuzzy but...cracks and checks happen in the 20 or so hours the egg is in the shell gland.....not when they are 'pushing it out'.....could be she was startled or stressed somehow during shell formation or just new layer glitch.

Egg Formation Video

Last edited:
Pic is kind of fuzzy but...cracks and checks happen in the 20 or so hours the egg is in the shell gland.....not when they are 'pushing it out'.....could be she was startled or stressed somehow during shell formation or just new layer glitch.

Egg Formation Video
Yes they are under stress. It's been in the mid nineties with high humidity, feels like 105 to 110 Fahrenheit and staying in the 70s at night. I run a fan in the coop at night. I have a chicken bath 2.7 inches deep that they can walk through and I dump and refill several times a day. I keep 2 gallons of water in the fridge and dump and refill their under coop waterer several times a day. Their coop and large run are under a large tree,plenty of shade. I also hose the ground to cool it off.
Chickens should molt july/aug, not when it's cold. GC

Yes they are under stress. It's been in the mid nineties with high humidity, feels like 105 to 110 Fahrenheit and staying in the 70s at night. I run a fan in the coop at night. I have a chicken bath 2.7 inches deep that they can walk through and I dump and refill several times a day. I keep 2 gallons of water in the fridge and dump and refill their under coop waterer several times a day. Their coop and large run are under a large tree,plenty of shade. I also hose the ground to cool it off.
Chickens should molt july/aug, not when it's cold. GC
Sounds similar to the conditions we have here in Texas.
I FREEZE gallon water jugs, and gatorade bottles full of water, and take them out and put them in their coop and around their water bin, to cool them off. You can also put the water jugs in the water they drink too - if you wanted.

Mine usually lay their eggs right before bed, because when it cools off, then it's about 80, and they feel safe. LOL
My goats often go bug them when they try to nest during the daytime if their coop is left open. (And we leave it open for them to lay eggs in their nesting boxes, because they do it randomly - we tried having the coop closed, then they just lay their eggs in the dirt.

We hose the ground off too.

All is well, I mean great. I opened the coop before six this morning, no eggs.
At 10am I went to the coop to change the water, check the feeder, give them the morning treat of scratch grains and check for eggs.
I had 5 eggs from 5 hens. Two days shy of 20 weeks. The first 5 egg day. A happy camper here.
GC

That's hybrids for ya.....egg machines.
Yes and even though this heat wave. Real feel 105+ days 80 Fahrenheit nights.
Today is much more comfortable humidity lower, 83 right now at 12:25pm. Only supposed to be 92 today. I set up a chicken bath two days ago, wish I thought of it sooner. GC

Back
Top Bottom