first quail incubation

Anyone have any tips on encouraging adult female quails to set on eggs?

For now I've taken the male away so that she's not constantly being chased by him to mate.... With a bunch of eggs in there (5) will the setting / mothering instinct eventually kick in?

today is hatch day!!!!
wee.gif
woke up this am and had little quail running all over my incubator. So far the count is 21 hatched out of 33 eggs. still have some pips so i will let it go the normal 2 days late. Everyone is in the brooder eating and drinking and running around like well little roaches!! will update with pics when the hatch is all over.
celebrate.gif

Quote:
If you are talking about button quail, the link Wifezilla gave is excellent. Bobs, very doubtful. Coturnix, forget about it, To them, eggs are just fragile foot balls.
I don't know about other species.

Quote:
Woo Hoo!

Defiantly let it run late. Most of my chicks pop around the same few hours, but there are almost always a few lazy chicks.
Congratulations on your more than decent hatch of roaches!
RAID!!!

Wifezilla... thx for the article, it IS very good, plus it's a good link to the entire quail site.... thank you!

Quote:
Canter... thanks for the tip! They are Coturnix, and your description is about bang on! I've got a still air (thermal flow) hovabator on the way... I hear they don't play football!
smile.png
I know that the forced air ones w/turners are a little less work, but this one is coming to me $42 CAD$ shipping included so I figured it was low risk.

Quote:
Canter... thanks for the tip! They are Coturnix, and your description is about bang on! I've got a still air (thermal flow) hovabator on the way... I hear they don't play football!
smile.png
I know that the forced air ones w/turners are a little less work, but this one is coming to me $42 CAD$ shipping included so I figured it was low risk.

Nothing wrong with thermal bators. Egg turners shmeg turners. I use my hands. Maybe I have an extra 1.75 minutes a day to mix up some eggs twice a day that others don't.

I tend to disrespect the over priced desktop incubators, but if that is what you got, then go with it.
The way I see it....I can buy a mini-fridge for $60-$70 USD. I can put my beer in the lower section, and make ice cubes in the upper section. An endothermic reaction cost way less than exothermic, but the former is actually harder to pull off....I digress.

I found the "Skunk" chick.

Back
Top Bottom