First snow today; Chickens going crazy.

We had out first measurable snow last night, only and inch or two but snow non the less.
So I opened the door to the run to see who wanted to come out and they didn't really like it and eventually went back in, but were out for a while.
That is actually the best pic of my chickens that I have.

Last edited:
We had out first measurable snow last night, only and inch or two but snow non the less.
So I opened the door to the run to see who wanted to come out and they didn't really like it and eventually went back in, but were out for a while.
That is actually the best pic of my chickens that I have.

That's a really nice picture!

We had out first measurable snow last night, only and inch or two but snow non the less. So I opened the door to the run to see who wanted to come out and they didn't really like it and eventually went back in, but were out for a while. That is actually the best pic of my chickens that I have.
What a bunch of cuties!

Thanks,
I'll tell them you said so, right after I ask them when they are going to start laying eggs..
Actually I saw the speckled sussex squating this aft. couldn't believe it. At least that is what it looked like. Never seen one of them doing that before.
I'm still waiting.

Last edited:
Thanks,
I'll tell them you said so, right after I ask them when they are going to start laying eggs..
Actually I saw the speckled sussex squating this aft. couldn't believe it. At least that is what it looked like. Never seen one of them doing that before.
I'm still waiting.

You would know if she was squatting. I didn't have any idea what people were talking about before my hen did it. If I start to pet her when she is squatting she tries to squat more lol. They stop dead and flatten their back for you. :) Hope you get eggs soon too. It's SOOO exciting!

Those 1st eggs are a small miracle, and the ones that follow are pretty amazing too.

When is it cold enough to put a heat source in the coop?

Personally unless it's super, duper cold and/or you have delicate breeds, you don't need too. I don't heat here and while i am not the coldest part of my country, -30-/ 40'sC is typical of area. I have bantams through to large fowl here, i just keep well vented coops, and ensure they have feed and water access...

Ok, that answers my question. In Louisiana, our temp last week was 80* for a high and lows in 50* tomorrow suppose to be 23*

Back
Top Bottom