First snow

Barredrocker99

Songster
Sep 17, 2020
Hello! We just had a pretty bad rainstorm... about 2 days straight of an absolute downpour. For whatever reason, the two heating lights I have in my coop went out in the rain. My dad thinks it’s a ‘gfi switch’ in which case we’ll just have to wait until it dries then hopefully it’ll come back on. The only thing is, we’re in the middle of our first snowstorm. It’s going to be five below freezing tonight, and I don’t have any way of getting anywhere at the moment to buy new lights/another extension cord... will they be alright for a few hours until I can, or do I need to be worried? It’s 32 already right now.

I don't know how they will do with -5 temps. Is the coop insulated? How many birds and how big is the coop? I would personally bring my birds inside.

Given that they are old enough, and have feathers on them, -5F is not that hard on a chicken. I had some walking outside in the snow when it was -40, not including windchill.

I don't know how old your birds are, but it's very likely they don't need a heat lamp in the coop in the first place unless you have very young pullets or chicks.

You're setting a perfect example of why they shouldn't have a heat lamp. If it were to go off in even colder temps, the sudden fluctuation in the temperature could be fatal. Not to mention the fire hazard concern. Shelter from the elements, thawed water, soft grounds, and ventilation is really all you need.

This is my house this morning. The chickens were fine in their unheated coop, and came outside at sunrise to hang under the coop and check out the snow.
20201030_074227.jpg

I don't know how they will do with -5 temps. Is the coop insulated? How many birds and how big is the coop? I would personally bring my birds inside.
Unfortunately bringing them in is not an option, there’s ten of them! The coop is pretty large, but I figured the light situation out pretty quickly, they had heat
Given that they are old enough, and have feathers on them, -5F is not that hard on a chicken. I had some walking outside in the snow when it was -40, not including windchill.

I don't know how old your birds are, but it's very likely they don't need a heat lamp in the coop in the first place unless you have very young pullets or chicks.

You're setting a perfect example of why they shouldn't have a heat lamp. If it were to go off in even colder temps, the sudden fluctuation in the temperature could be fatal. Not to mention the fire hazard concern. Shelter from the elements, thawed water, soft grounds, and ventilation is really all you need.
Oh, really?? They don’t need a lamp at all?

Back
Top Bottom