First time chick mom - 3 hens broody at once

AmyChickenMama

Hatching
Jun 15, 2023
Hi there, I have 3 hens sitting in 3 nesting boxes. 2 started within days of each other, and the 3rd started a week late. The boxes are 36 inches off the floor. Should I move all 3 when the chicks hatch to the floor in separate boxes or put them in the shed I. The run? Should I build a ramp to the nesting boxes? I’m worried they will fall and die??
I’m also worried about the other moms going after the babies that aren’t hers. Also unsure if being on the floor would allow for rats? I don’t think rats can get into the coop but there are small vents in the eaves…?? Also, the other hens might be laying in one of the 3 boxes when they get up because there haven’t been many new eggs in the 2 free nesting boxes. Should I get rid of all the eggs that don’t hatch the first day for each mom? Help newbie here!

If you can separate them into different enclosures then it would be fine but unless you are 100% positive that the hens get along perfectly and hormones won't affect them (I've only ever had 2 hens that got along and tag teamed as moms) then you might only want to let 1 be broody

Back
Top Bottom