First time chicken Mama. The big question is about insulation, will my chickens die, or not lay anymore.?

They're fine no strange behavior or loss of appetite. Thanks for asking. I guess I just need to be patient for the eggs at this point. The insulation I believe is now out of reach. ( they can be quite resourceful little critters)
Styrofoam insulation? Maybe your hens may lay plastic Easter eggs for a while.:lau They will be fine!

We are in Pennsylvania, in the Allegheny mountains. The insulation will be in between 2 sheets of ply wood, just to keep the cold breeze out.
I'm well north of you and I did not insulate my coop. They don't need it as long as you have a DRY well ventilated coop. Ventilation is key. You just don't want drafts across the birds while roosted. A draft to a chicken and to a human are not the same thing! You don't want to see the chickens feathers being blown open by a draft. That is how they keep warm in the winter.
Another thing you need to do is be certain the flock goes to roost each night in the winter with a full crop as they will also stay warm by digesting their food during the night. And make sure you are out bright and early to give them more food when they come off the roost.
Have a run with a solid roof to keep the snow out and wrap the run with tarps to keep the wind from blowing in and they will be fine.
IMG_20191203_081415209.jpg
IMG_20191102_162811326.jpg

Back
Top Bottom