First Time Chickens and Heat of Oklahoma

KenzieDenas

Chirping
Jul 24, 2022
Hey guys! (Sorry I can be long winded.) Im getting a beautiful mixed flock of 10 chicks the week of the 8th here in central Oklahoma. I know its late in the season, but by the time they are 8 weeks it will be October and starting to get cooler from this 100+ degrees we've gotten lately.

So I'm aware and have done extensive research into minimum requirements and stabilized temps for brooding chicks inside until ready to move outside into the elements. That being said, we will have a radiating heat plate and we have a big insulated coop for when it gets cold. I'm going to take them out to play for longer intervals as they get older and ready.

My concern is for when the heat comes back and we have 100+ degree days again. Everything I've read says anything like that is dangerous for chickens of any age. We get that for weeks I'd not months at a time here. I will be home with our daughters and taking care of the flock daily (and possibly goats). I was thinking I could mist them when it's really hot and have fan ventilation for them. As well as ice in their water and frozen treats, shaded run, etc.

I'm freaking out a little bit thinking they are going to be miserable or I'm not going to do something right. Any suggestions? Anyone keep chickens in the super heat that can weigh in and relieve my anxiety? I know it's done constantly, and im mommy thinking it. But I'm worried I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance and taking the time!

I wouldn't recommend misting them, unless you are lucky to have a day of low humidity. I've lived in central Oklahoma - the humidity will drown you; correct? The moisture has to evaporate to create a cooling effect. Misting in high humidity (and worse, with little or no wind) will just steam them.

You'll do best by making sure they have lots of shade, ventilation in the coop AND run, and cool fresh water. These three things are the most important.

Feeding frozen treats will help, as well as ice when it's brutally hot. Don't feed scratch when it's near the heat of day (digesting grains generates heat). I've heard some folks put out a shallow kiddie pool for the birds to walk in and dip their wattles. Since chickens don't sweat, they cool their bodies by their combs, wattles and feet. I haven't bought a kiddie pool, but I fill a few puddles on the ground from the garden hose a couple of times a day, and the birds stand in them or walk through it. It also encourages them to get a drink of cool water.

On the hottest days I toss around several frozen 2-liter bottles or milk jugs on the ground in the shade. I may put them out about 11am or noon, and by 5pm there's still a chunk of ice in them. A bird will huddle near a bottle when she needs a quick cool-down.

I've also added cheap box fans in my coops. This, more than anything else, I believe has helped to keep the temps down and moisture under control inside the coop.

Edited to add:
All of this above is for chickens and chicks that are fully feathered. Not babies!

Last edited:
My chickens are 6 years old and they have been living outside in the Texas heat for 6 years.
I would not add heat to chicks outside this time of year at all. I would also not add water anywhere near them because that is going to cause issues.

I wouldn't recommend misting them, unless you are lucky to have a day of low humidity. I've lived in central Oklahoma - the humidity will drown you; correct? The moisture has to evaporate to create a cooling effect. Misting in high humidity (and worse, with little or no wind) will just steam them.

You'll do best by making sure they have lots of shade, ventilation in the coop AND run, and cool fresh water. These three things are the most important.

Feeding frozen treats will help, as well as ice when it's brutally hot. Don't feed scratch when it's near the heat of day (digesting grains generates heat). I've heard some folks put out a shallow kiddie pool for the birds to walk in and dip their wattles. Since chickens don't sweat, they cool their bodies by their combs, wattles and feet. I haven't bought a kiddie pool, but I fill a few puddles on the ground from the garden hose a couple of times a day, and the birds stand in them or walk through it. It also encourages them to get a drink of cool water.

On the hottest days I toss around several frozen 2-liter bottles or milk jugs on the ground in the shade. I may put them out about 11am or noon, and by 5pm there's still a chunk of ice in them. A bird will huddle near a bottle when she needs a quick cool-down.

I've also added cheap box fans in my coops. This, more than anything else, I believe has helped to keep the temps down and moisture under control inside the coop.

Edited to add:
All of this above is for chickens and chicks that are fully feathered. Not babies!
Thank you very much! I hadn't thought about the humidity. Awesome information in general from your experience. I love the puddle and frozen jug idea! We definitely are doing the box fans and mega ventilation in the coop as well.
Yes ma'am we are brooding indoors until temps cool down a bit when they arrive the 8th.

My chickens are 6 years old and they have been living outside in the Texas heat for 6 years.
I would not add heat to chicks outside this time of year at all. I would also not add water anywhere near them because that is going to cause issues.
Also you do not want to put ice in their water to make it ice cold. Ice cold water can kill them.
Slightly cool water should be okay but do not ever give them cold water especially chicks.
Great info thanks so much! I will steer clear of misting, ice, and ice water for my chickens to cool off. The chicks are going to be indoors exclusively besides little trips outside in the early mornings until it cools off in October.

Great info thanks so much! I will steer clear of misting, ice, and ice water for my chickens to cool off. The chicks are going to be indoors exclusively besides little trips outside in the early mornings until it cools off in October.
I would recommend that if you have your coop built and predator proof that you put them out and start them in it.

Thank you so much for writing such a comprehensive and well thought out article for everyone! I bet you've helped (and probably saved) a lot of chickens! Including mine 💙 Love resources like that!

We are converting this very large shed into a goat/coop barn. Only two nigerian dwarfs, then ten hens in their own separated areas. We are doing additional covered ventilation on the siding on either side then a top covered duct for the heat to rise out of. Any additional recom
20220722_211952.jpg
mendations?

Back
Top Bottom