first time chickens Rant/learning curve

madsnbot

Songster
Jun 16, 2022
So i’ve had chickens for a few months now and i’ve been obsessed with them!! I absolutely fell in love with owning chickens and doing research as I go, but the more research i do the more complicated/discouraging it gets. I’ve been reading more about diseases and illnesses chickens can get and there’s just SO many. It’s overwhelming to be honest. What I worry about specifically is avian influenza. As of now I don’t know too much about it but it seems pretty serious, and i mostly worry about me or my family getting it. Don’t know how possible that is. Since i live in FL there is some outbreaks here i believe. If anyone has any advice or information for me on this type of stuff that would be great, i’m just so discouraged rn😭 I don’t really go anywhere that has chickens/birds in general. But my chickens do free range a lot of the day. It’s just so overwhelming when you have a lot of information thrown at you, but you’re still new to owning chickens and have barely any idea of what’s happening lol. So yeah rant over, just need some words of encouragement and advice on how to keep me and my flock safe. Also, does anyone else feel like this 😂?

Very low likelihood of humans getting it.

Your birds are far more likely at risk, especially free ranging. Most of us who are concerned about it have our flocks on lockdown - like I don't have a roofed run, but my birds aren't allowed out right now and we change footwear at the entrance to reduce possibility of tracking anything in (as we do have wild waterfowl on the property). We don't have visitors to worry about.

I don't know what's the current status in FL. I track my state's cases via our dept of agriculture website but you'd need to look up your state's for relevant and current info.

As far as "chicken diseases" in general, as long as you practice decent biosecurity (i.e. don't bring in strange birds, don't go into other people's set ups and then track the debris home and into your set up, don't have visitors that are tracking in debris from another farm, etc.) you can lower the odds of your birds being exposed to harmful bacteria, viruses, etc.

My flock was locked in their roofed coop and run from late January until this last week; they had enough room, and AI was a real risk for them. We have a lot of wild geese here, not good this year. Michigan hasn't had a confirmed case since May 11th, and the state ag department loosened restrictions a month later.
Do check with your state website for information about cases!
Other diseases are going to be avoided by practicing good biosecurity for your flock, as @rosemarythyme already mentioned. Look up what's best, APHIS and your state ag website should have recommended.
Many of us were careless when we started having chickens, and either got lucky (we were!) or had bad events and learned the hard way about things like Marek's disease and Mycoplasma. It also helps to not have near neighbors who have free roaming 'random source' chickens!
Do enjoy your birds, they are fun!
Mary

Welcome to BYC. I too am in hot humid FL. Currently 96. "Feels Like" 109. Not yet the hottest we are expected to go today.

So...
There are pretty horrible chicken diseases out there. Potentially devastating. That's "High Consequence". The risk of infection, however, is extremely small. That's "Low Risk". Humans, as it turns out, are unusually bad at evaluating high consequence low risk events. As is demonstrated by the millions of people playing lotto, and the current state of Earth's preparedness for a significant asteroid hit. Or the global response to COVID. All High Consequence events with extremely low risk they will occur in any given year.

Meaning your feelings are quite normal. But they almost certainly are not reflective of the true risk to your birds (or yourself).

Your birds, at some point, most likely will get sick. And if I had to place odds, I'd bet they would get sick with either:

Coccidia (because coccidia are everywhere humans have been), which is easily treated with CORID from the farm store;

or Fowl Pox, because mosquitoes carry fowl pox from flock to flock, and mosquitoes and FL, well, you know... If your flock gets the dry version (most common), apart from some ugly scabs on their combs for a while, you likely won't notice, and you do almost nothing to treat.

In other words, relax. The most serious threat your birds will absolutely face is FL's heat and humidity. Make sure your coop is WELL ventilated, you provide lots of shade, and plenty of fresh clean water. and a place for them to dig into the dirt to cool off. Choosing birds with clean legs and big prominent combs helps too.

Very low likelihood of humans getting it.

Your birds are far more likely at risk, especially free ranging. Most of us who are concerned about it have our flocks on lockdown - like I don't have a roofed run, but my birds aren't allowed out right now and we change footwear at the entrance to reduce possibility of tracking anything in (as we do have wild waterfowl on the property). We don't have visitors to worry about.

I don't know what's the current status in FL. I track my state's cases via our dept of agriculture website but you'd need to look up your state's for relevant and current info.

As far as "chicken diseases" in general, as long as you practice decent biosecurity (i.e. don't bring in strange birds, don't go into other people's set ups and then track the debris home and into your set up, don't have visitors that are tracking in debris from another farm, etc.) you can lower the odds of your birds being exposed to harmful bacteria, viruses, etc.
It's true that there are a gazillion chicken diseases out there, and it is easy to worry about the possibilities when so much can go wrong. But, the good news is that your chickens won't contract the overwhelming majority of those ailments.

Avian flu is a real threat (though very rarely to humans); cases of it have been found in two adjacent counties to mine. And there are dredge ditches and a county-owned pond a few miles away that tend to attract migratory birds that could carry the virus.

I, however, have not locked down my birds. It is unseasonably hot here -- going upwards of triple digits this week, and I am most worried about their ability to survive the heat and humidity. So, my chickens are free to find cool spots, dig down into the dirt and drink from multiple water dishes and baby pools (which they share with messy ducks and geese).

I've stopped filling my wild bird feeders to try to reduce the number of avian visitors (unsuccessfully, I might add) and am completely onboard with the biosecurity measures offered by @rosemarythyme.

Enjoy your birds, let them enjoy their lives; take reasonable measures to keep them safe. but try to not get discouraged by all that can go wrong -- since MOST of it won't.
My flock was locked in their roofed coop and run from late January until this last week; they had enough room, and AI was a real risk for them. We have a lot of wild geese here, not good this year. Michigan hasn't had a confirmed case since May 11th, and the state ag department loosened restrictions a month later.
Do check with your state website for information about cases!
Other diseases are going to be avoided by practicing good biosecurity for your flock, as @rosemarythyme already mentioned. Look up what's best, APHIS and your state ag website should have recommended.
Many of us were careless when we started having chickens, and either got lucky (we were!) or had bad events and learned the hard way about things like Marek's disease and Mycoplasma. It also helps to not have near neighbors who have free roaming 'random source' chickens!
Do enjoy your birds, they are fun!
Mary
Thank you guys so much!! You’ve all definitely have calmed my nerves about this stuff. Thankfully I live in the suburbs and there’s not much waterfowl that even comes near my house, but we do have other song birds and such. They don’t tend to come in the backyard (which is a small backyard might i add, idk if that’s a good or bad thing, or it just doesn’t matter). I think my biggest concern would be my neighbors small flock of two chickens. Like callender girl said, as of now it wouldn’t be possible to keep my chickens cooped up/ in a run because it’s so hot and humid here in FL! Also, when we ordered the coop I planned on them to be free ranging so the runs not that big anyways. We plan on building a new coop soon so hopefully i can add a larger run for situations like this. I also just started practicing better biosecurity like washing my hands before and after, changing/ disinfecting shoes, and wearing clean clothes when out with the flock. That being said, I don’t go out to feed stores often or places like that but better safe then sorry. And so far i haven’t had anything seriously wrong with my chickens, they’ve been healthy and happy!! It’s my first flock so i guess mistakes will be made but so far im proud of myself for keeping them alive and healthy 😂 anyways thank you guys so much for the advice and kind words❤️!!

I got really anxious recently and I've had chickens for years. I have a personality type that gets more anxious if I have too much information to sort through so I did what I could to cover my big run and stopped reading about AI. If one of my chickens get sick or injured I have read enough to know where to start but I also rely on my experience with injured birds to know that sometimes the intervention is worse than the injury and I have learned to trust my instincts and get help here when I need it. Stressing too much about things can make me reactive which is about as useful as panicking. Do what seems reasonable. Chickens die sometimes despite our best efforts. We love them and try our best and that's good enough in my opinion. Worrying too much doesn't help them or you in the long run.

“USDA-APHIS avian influenza occurrences”. Google term. Should get you about where you want. Explore the links.

Then go to your state, Dept of Ag website and bookmark it.

Then find your states Dept of Ag fb page and “follow”. My state post various things and it’s a quick way to be reminded of things.

We built an elevated coop within an existing dog run. We have added a roof over the run. The plan is to replace the chain link fence at some point (already have the fencing tools, just need the time) so we can get closer to the run being “Fort Knox” predator proof and generally secure from whatever, including wild birds that might bring in illness.

Do not buy birds from unknown sources, stick to NPIP sources (all hatcheries and breeders that ship will be NPIP as that is required by USPS to ship chicks).

Do not feed your birds water runoff from the roof bc wild birds poop on roof…and you get the idea. But, it can be filtered/treated if needed.

Join your state thread on BYC. Go to “Social”> “Where am I, …” then in that catergory is a pinned post which will list all states. Go to yours, say Hi, and hit “watch thread”.

Back
Top Bottom