First Time Duck owner.... Female won't brood...help!!

If you'd like her to lay in a certain spot, you might consider putting a ceramic egg down. I use them for my chickens in their nesting boxes and I haven't had an egg laid outside of them yet! :)

I have left the 3 that she has laid so far in the spot where I want her to lay them, in the coop. She laid the one last night close to but not where I wanted her to.

Your ratio for your ducks is very unhealthy.. I'd suggest getting rid of most of the drakes or get more hens... Each drake should have 3-4 hens of their own... not one hen to share with three other drakes

I had purchased 4 ducklings from Family Farm & Home, thought that we had 2 males and 2 females. After their spring/Summer molt it turned out that we had 3 to 1. I am not sure if I could get rid of any being that I am attached already. So for 3 males you are suggesting I need 9 females??

Your ratio for your ducks is very unhealthy.. I'd suggest getting rid of most of the drakes or get more hens... Each drake should have 3-4 hens of their own... not one hen to share with three other drakes

MillersFarm is right. They may be getting along right now but as their hormones increase they will turn into sex-crazed monsters and she will get hurt or killed. I have two boys and three girls and had to keep them separated (sometimes in pairs, sometimes by gender) from March to July when their hormones were highest. Even now they are all back together but one hen is missing feathers on the back of her neck. It's hard because the boys seem to be the most personable as ducklings -but then they grow up!

I have a question for those of you who have had hens go broody. Doesn't the hen wait until she has laid a whole nest full of eggs before she "goes broody" and starts sitting on them? I collect mine every morning so I have never gone there. For what it is worth, I keep mine on the counter.

the ceramic (or rubber) eggs are quite cheap and also help out with several other things like egg eaters, so I'm not sure if it's something you might think of investing in

If you'd like her to lay in a certain spot, you might consider putting a ceramic egg down. I use them for my chickens in their nesting boxes and I haven't had an egg laid outside of them yet! :)

I used dummy eggs for my ducks and it works great! Until one of my girls decided she was going to sit on those wooden eggs until they turned into little wooden duckies lol. (Then I bought her Holderread-line Ancona hatching eggs from eBay. They are hatching now and are so cute!!!)

Thank you everyone for you suggestions. I am learning a lot, so if you have other suggestions please feel free. Again I am a first timer so I need all the help I can get.

Thank you everyone for you suggestions. I am learning a lot, so if you have other suggestions please feel free. Again I am a first timer so I need all the help I can get.
9 or 10 for 3 drakes sounds good. Just so long as they arent over-breeding anyone. Dont feel bad for i am a newbie Duck owner as well. Got some last year from tractor supply and ended up with 5 drakes and 1 hen... I also love to read so i've been buying tuns of books about ducks and how to raise them. We're focusing on building a separate coop since we learned we should keep chickens and ducks in with each other..

9 or 10 for 3 drakes sounds good. Just so long as they arent over-breeding anyone. Dont feel bad for i am a newbie Duck owner as well. Got some last year from tractor supply and ended up with 5 drakes and 1 hen... I also love to read so i've been buying tuns of books about ducks and how to raise them. We're focusing on building a separate coop since we learned we should keep chickens and ducks in with each other..
I am curious how you resolved your hen to drake ratio problem?

Back
Top Bottom