First Time Duck owner.... Female won't brood...help!!

KodaB15

Chirping
Jul 28, 2017
Youngstown, Ohio
I have 4 ducks, 1 female to 3 males. She just started laying on Wednesday and is not brooding. When I looked at the egg with a light it looked to be fertilized, but it may be too early to tell, idk. I don't know what I should do, I should eat them, get an incubator and try that or if I should just leave them to see if she gets the natural instinct to brood them. She also layed her first egg on the creek bank that is in the back yard, I them in the pen till this morning and found 2 more eggs but just out in the open. How can I get her to lay in a nesting box, or even just in the coop itself? Please help!! Suggestions are needed, please. Thank you!!

Pardon??

You mean eat the eggs after they have been incubated???? I suppose but

6993.jpg

If you mean can you eat a fertilized egg, sure you can.

Collect your Duck eggs daily...Yes you can eat fertilized eggs as long as you collect them daily...Ducks are easy...If you do not want Ducklings and she decides to Brood at some point?..Destroy the nest and she will never think about it...

Our Drake enthusiastically attempts to ensure that every duck egg we eat is fertilized. ;) Just collect them every day. Fertilized eggs can be used just like unfertilized ones as long as the momma duck hasn't been sitting on them.

:welcome

She has not. The 3 she has layed I have in a nesting box and nothing. So I will just start collecting them. How do you suggest they be stored, on the counter or in the fridge?

Back
Top Bottom