First time duck owner

Clo-duck

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2018
Yesterday I purchased my first two point of lay khaki campbells! I purchased a bowl for them to eat out of but they don't seem to be eating out of it, but will eat when their food is on the floor? Shall I just continue to feed them off the floor or keep trying with the bowl or try a feed skip?

:welcome

Do you know how they were fed at their other home? I like to keep feed in a bowl [a lot does get on the ground] but I think it's better it stay off the ground to keep it from getting too dirty and maybe getting pooped on. Do they have access to fresh water close by? ducks need water to eat.

Congrats on your 2 new KC's

No unfortunately I don't know how they were previously fed. I will continue to feed them from a bowl yes they have access to a large pool in their enclosure as I am keeping them in for a week so they learn where they are being fed before letting them roam around the fields/garden during the day. I believe they are around 6 months old. They are extremely nervous and wary at the moment but hoping they will settle.
Thanks!

I hope so! They were previously from a children's petting farm poor things so it is a massive change for them! Will do :)

I have 2 khakis. Everything I read about them states they are a nervous breed. I feed mine out of a bucket. They sometimes knock it down, other times it becomes so water logged I toss it because I don't want mold.

I have 2 khakis. Everything I read about them states they are a nervous breed. I feed mine out of a bucket. They sometimes knock it down, other times it becomes so water logged I toss it because I don't want mold.
Yes mine are very nervous! I just worry they aren't going to eat as they haven't yet eaten when the food has been left in the bucket but guess they would if they were hungry. How much do you feed yours? Also what is your housing set up for them? Just want to make sure I'm doing everything as best as I can for them

Back
Top Bottom