First Time Egg Candler Scared!

I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate all this advice! I will do the candling tonight. I bought a hygrometer because the built in one wasn't accurate, and it's been between 50 and 60% humidity at almost all times.
I have a farm innovators pro series incubator with 41 eggs capacity, egg turner, and fan.
Let us know how that Farm Innovators works out. You read a lot about the Little Giant, but not so much about the FI.
Are you 50-60% humidity for the first 18 days? Is that measuring with the accurate hygrometer? That's too high

I'm also nervously waiting on my first hatch. I candled yesterday, day 8, and couldn't see veining in any of the Ameraucana or the Araucana eggs. Is this because of the dense shells, the green and blue color? I did see through the Houdan egg which is developing. I need encouragement and advice, please.

The greens are very hard to tell. In my greens usually all I can make out is right by the air cell. If you shine your light into the air cell end and look closely around the rim of the air cell, usually you can make out a bit of veining here or there. With the green eggs, if it doesn't smell, you leave them in, cause they are very hard to tell anything.

Yep, I had a couple greens in my first batch that were tough. But I would like to add that it helps to be in the darkest room possible, and the brightest flashlight you can find use helps a lot too!

You should visit this thread... it will follow lots of different hatches. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/978237/she-said-he-said-whos-right-whos-wrong-no-one

are you sure you want to send him there he is such a nice man after all . and we don't want to ruin him . just kidding Cole visit all the thread you can .WV candler update box near complete and I'm working on you ideal haven't got it yet but working on it I'm going to build a box on top of the box. The hitch is still holding the egg in place while you turn the box over. I've ben on line so much hughesnet might be running out .box should be complete and posted by the 26th.

are you sure you want to send him there he is such a nice man after all . and we don't want to ruin him
lau.gif

are you sure you want to send him there he is such a nice man after all . and we don't want to ruin him . just kidding Cole visit all the thread you can .WV candler update box near complete and I'm working on you ideal haven't got it yet but working on it I'm going to build a box on top of the box. The hitch is still holding the egg in place while you turn the box over. I've ben on line so much hughesnet might be running out .box should be complete and posted by the 26th.

haha yea, I may have thrown him into the fire, huh? Nah, we're all good folks...

Post a link to your box thread when you get it done, please, I can't wait to see it! I have an idea on how to hold the egg, but I need to transfer it from my head to paper... will see if I can get that done soon.

Back
Top Bottom