First time EVER hatching

Yeah, 78-79% is close enough. If it's building condensation inside, then either it's not ventilated enough (are there vents you can open? They should be wide open), or your hygrometer isn't calibrated correctly. Let's just keep it like you have it (except open vents if they're closed), as best you can, and move forward. It's too late to check calibration etc. now.

Poultry eggs can hatch anywhere from 2 days before to 2 days after the "hatch date". So the one that's pipped could be just an early hatcher, and the others could be on schedule. If Wednesday is hatch day, then most of the pips should start appearing tomorrow. Your little guy, pipped today, should hatch by tomorrow morning.

The date of collection doesn't affect the date of hatching; it's the date you started incubation that matters. Count the first day you set the eggs as Day 0, and the next day is Day 1, and so on.

'Hatchability' is prime to set eggs that are no more than 5 days old. It's still excellent for eggs as much as 10 days old, but starts to drop severely after that, up to about 30 days old when they're pretty much duds (but still good to eat).

Just a note: Check your eggs for pips on the bottom. If you find any, turn them right side up so they don't drown in their own fluids.

Yeah, 78-79% is close enough. If it's building condensation inside, then either it's not ventilated enough (are there vents you can open? They should be wide open), or your hygrometer isn't calibrated correctly. Let's just keep it like you have it (except open vents if they're closed), as best you can, and move forward. It's too late to check calibration etc. now.

Poultry eggs can hatch anywhere from 2 days before to 2 days after the "hatch date". So the one that's pipped could be just an early hatcher, and the others could be on schedule. If Wednesday is hatch day, then most of the pips should start appearing tomorrow. Your little guy, pipped today, should hatch by tomorrow morning.

The date of collection doesn't affect the date of hatching; it's the date you started incubation that matters. Count the first day you set the eggs as Day 0, and the next day is Day 1, and so on.

'Hatchability' is prime to set eggs that are no more than 5 days old. It's still excellent for eggs as much as 10 days old, but starts to drop severely after that, up to about 30 days old when they're pretty much duds (but still good to eat).

Just a note: Check your eggs for pips on the bottom. If you find any, turn them right side up so they don't drown in their own fluids.
Thank you so much for that insider information lol. No unfortunately no vents on this thing I’ve been keeping it vented with a rag to slightly keep the open. I’ll do that again and add more water if needed. Little thing seems to be doing good the membrane that is showing from the shell falling off is transparent so im assuming that means it’s not drying out, but we all know what assuming means lol. I know you don’t count before they are hatched but I’m routing for this thing to make it so badly! Lol

Okay thank you I’ve been trying to keep the humidity at 80% but condensation builds up once it’s at about 76-78% and I read that’s to much humidity but that was for chickens. No, no one else is pipping which has me worried that I did something wrong during incubation. I bought the eggs from someone in my area who collected over a couple of days so I’m not sure if that has a factor in the early hatching for this guy or not. But I estimated that they would hatch between today and Wednesday I started them mid morning on the 23rd of last month.
You started them on May 23rd (Day 0), so today would be Day 27. Technically, hatch day is tomorrow, but you are correct that they could hatch anytime between today and Wednesday. Friday at the latest.

You started them on May 23rd (Day 0), so today would be Day 27. Technically, hatch day is tomorrow, but you are correct that they could hatch anytime between today and Wednesday. Friday at the latest.
Thank you so much!! You’ve honestly helped me out a lot lol. And helped me not to kill my chick even though I swear it calling for help lol. Keeping my hands under my butt at all times lol.

This is an example of a shrink-wrapped duckling. It's a lot bigger hole than your chick has, but a good example. See how the membrane has pulled away from the shell around the edges, and there is an air space between the membrane and shell?
1687225786185.png

(photo credit to @MemeGeorge)
Watch for that around the edges of your turkey chick's pip hole. If you see it starting to separate, use a Qtip and dab some water or coconut oil on that membrane every two hours or so.

Has there been any more progress yet? Is he still yawning and chewing and peeping?

This is an example of a shrink-wrapped duckling. It's a lot bigger hole than your chick has, but a good example. See how the membrane has pulled away from the shell around the edges, and there is an air space between the membrane and shell?
View attachment 3548891
(photo credit to @MemeGeorge)
Watch for that around the edges of your turkey chick's pip hole. If you see it starting to separate, use a Qtip and dab some water or coconut oil on that membrane every two hours or so.

Has there been any more progress yet? Is he still yawning and chewing and peeping?
Yes the little guy is still yawning moving it’s beak around in the hole. It chirps when I chirp at it for some encouragement to help it keep going. This is what we have so far after about 15 hrs give or take, but more on the give side lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 5
@Eggcessive @EggSighted4Life @Wyorp Rock I feel a little unsure of the advice I've been giving, since I have no experience with turkey eggs, only chickens. Can you give some reassurance to @UnicornLover92 or correct where I might be wrong?
I feel you are giving me good advice honestly a lot of what you’ve told me I’ve seen on google weeks before hatching day I just need reassurances and someone living telling me I’m doing good or at least heading in the right direction, a lot of the articles I’ve found were years old and didn’t know if other might have better advice then something from over 10 years ago lol

AFIK, Humidity is too high if there's condensation, so I would not add more water.

I would not assist, it can take hours and hours for any fowl to hatch once they've pipped.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
Thank you for that information I’m not helping at all watching and talking to it is all I’m doing at this point. Hopefully by 430am I have a turkey chick that’ll be the 24 hr mark since I noticed the pip

Back
Top Bottom