First Time First Egg! Now Nothing for 3 Days

Ritakprkns

Chirping
Feb 18, 2023
So excited our Chocolate English Orpington was the first to lay an egg! Then she dropped 2 soft eggs from the roosting bar that same night. A 2nd fresh egg day 3 and another day 5 with another soft egg. No eggs in 3 days. Hmmm?
I’ve been reading all I can about laying eggs. All of our flock will be laying for the first time. Is this just the norm for adjusting to this new phase in their precious lives? Do I need to provide more nourishment? They have organic feed. Oyster shells on the side. We give them treats such green veggies and squash, BSF larvae, squash, melons and blueberries.
Is there something else we should be doing for them?

This sounds fairly normal. However, I would guess that it is more likely that more than one bird is laying the softies if you got 2 in one night (it takes about 26 hours from the time one egg is laid until the time the next egg is laid). It's darn near impossible for one chicken to have laid 2 soft-shelled eggs in one night...

But yeah, the rest of that sounds normal for new layers. :)

This sounds fairly normal. However, I would guess that it is more likely that more than one bird is laying the softies if you got 2 in one night (it takes about 26 hours from the time one egg is laid until the time the next egg is laid). It's darn near impossible for one chicken to have laid 2 soft-shelled eggs in one night...

Hi, more than 1 softshell is possible! Yesterday, I just witnessed mine lay 2 shell-less eggs at 3.30pm and 5.30pm, after she laid a perfectly normal egg in the morning. She is a pullet who's only been laying for 3 weeks (strong eggshells). She seems well today so I'm hoping it's a glitch that won't repeat itself.🤞🤞
I found some articles that says it takes 4 hours for the yolk and eggwhite to be formed, and it is the shell that takes 20hrs! Illustration from Purina:
How-chickens-make-eggs_rs.png

@Ritakprkns hope your pullet sorts itself quickly! Mine all went for the shell-less eggs yesterday so I am worried egg-eating habits might develop.

I agree. That's pretty normal for newly laying pullets.

Even that illustration makes it seem impossible for two shell-less eggs to be laid 2 hours apart (3.5 hr looks like the absolute minimum with NO shell, not even a membrane, which takes an extra hour). Shell-less is different than softshell (at least in my mind). A soft-shelled egg has at least got a membrane on it, but usually also a very thin shell (so it spent some time in the shell glad). OP doesn't specify, just says "soft eggs", so perhaps there's a possibility that one chicken laid both. However, I believe it is more likely a second new layer. 😁

They have organic feed. Oyster shells on the side. We give them treats such green veggies and squash, BSF larvae, squash, melons and blueberries.
What exactly is in this feed..protein and calcium percentages??
What formulation, crumbles, pellets, cracked grains?

I'd cut out most all those treats until they get laying well established.

What exactly is in this feed..protein and calcium percentages??
What formulation, crumbles, pellets, cracked grains?

I'd cut out most all those treats until they get laying well established.
We have been feeding them Scratch n Peck Organic Grower Feed. We just began feeding them the Layer feed this last week since our Orpington began laying. Attached are ingredients for both.

Attachments

• 18D7CC7F-30EB-400E-A208-11C4DF10CD4D.jpeg
    18D7CC7F-30EB-400E-A208-11C4DF10CD4D.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 597A7EC0-CA3F-40F3-8786-2A7654D4574B.jpeg
    597A7EC0-CA3F-40F3-8786-2A7654D4574B.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom