first time hatcher! update!!

MoonbeamQueen

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
Meadow Vista
Well, I'm kinda new here. I've caught the bug so to speak and hope to begin incubating my first eggs by the end of the week. I've read a few things regarding temperature and humidity and just want to be sure that I understand. I have my incubator going and have a constant temp of 99.5-100 degrees (2 thermometers in there with same reading). Do I start incubating at that temp and just keep it a constant the entire time? And as far as humidity, what % should I be maintaining?
Thanks in advance for any assist!

Last edited:
Quote:
Does your incubator have a fan in it?
If Yes, maintain 99.5 - 100 degrees for the full incubation and hatch.

Without a fan the temp at the top of the eggs should be 101 - 102.

Quote:
Try to keep the humidity around 40 - 45% for the first 18 days. On day 18 stop turning the eggs, boost the humidity to 70%.

Then you have to wait. Sit on your hands!

Good luck with your first hatch!

MissPrissy covered all angels for you.
smile.png

What kind of eggs are you popping in there?

Good Luck on your first hatch!
jumpy.gif

Keep us posted on the progress.

Hi, again! I've got 9 ameracauna/auracauna eggs. Started them in the 'bator' on Monday. Supposed to be all white birds. I got them from ebay (I'm a bit impulsive). I probably should have been more patient and just waited on some eggs from my own girls to try first. But, my husband and I are going on vacation in September and I wanted the new chicks to be old enough for my daughter to manage while we're out of town.

I do have another question...would Monday be Day 1, or do I start counting on Tuesday?

Quote:
If you set you eggs on Mon any time in the morning before noon, then you count Mon day Day 1, but if you set them after that then you count Tue as Day 1.

I love that breed!!!!! I have 5 EE hens that are over a yr old that have wonderful personalities. I ordered 5 more pullets this spring, but ended up w/ 4 pullets & a cockerel. Unfortuantely I'll have to get rid of the beautiful little boy.

I also hatched out some true breed - blue Ameraucanas this spring. They are so, so sweet. I just love them!!!!!

Good luck on your first hatch!!!!!!
smile.png

You are so welcome!!!!!
smile.png

I can't wait to see what your chicks look like. I wonder if they will end up w/ muffs or tufts. Did you ask what the parents look like?

Keep us posted!!!!!
pop.gif

These are the parents. I hope I get all white babies! Seem kind of unusual. I'll keep you posted. My temp in the bator has been a stable 102 on top of the eggs. Gotta figure out a way to have the hygrometer in there without it jamming up the auto turner. I think it will work if I put it on one of the far edges. Thanks for the support everyone!

9478_47b9_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom