First time hatching ducklings, experts needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jmofaustin, Mar 13, 2007.

1. jmofaustin

jmofaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Just wondering if I should hear something from the eggs like how chicks peep when they are hatching. I have never hatched ducklings before.

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Yup just like chicks. What day are you on?

3. jmofaustin

Mar 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I am on day 25 and moved them to the hatcher, on the way to the hatcher I noticed they already broke through the air cell, so when should I be expecting?

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yes, ducks do cheep just like chicks. If they have already pipped internally, you can expect them anytime in the next 1-3 days. Now is the time when everyone will say..."Step away from the bator". You can spend this time getting their brooder set up and figuring out how you're going to keep their bed dry (cuz they love to slop in water). Hope you have a great hatch! [​IMG]

Jody

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Jmo.....for the baby ducks....you will need to put them on soe sort of wire floor.....and a tub under them to catch all the sloppy water....If you can make a screen floor, even better! Just make sure they have plenty water. I raised 5 last spring....only 2 made it...Hawks got the others.[​IMG] They sure are messy, but now they think I am momma, and come when I call them. SO much fun! Enjoy!

6. jmofaustin

Mar 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    1 egg has been pipped for 16 hours now, do you think it's ok, no other signs of hatching.

7. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Any updates?

8. jmofaustin

Mar 11, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Hatched last night [​IMG] and I thought baby chicks were the cutest things in the world. It looks like it might be a mallard. I collected a couple of eggs from a pond that had mallards, runners, and muscovies. There was no movement in the other 2 eggs, I hope she will get along with the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by